How do i use a Fake Book.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by H2ODog, Jun 8, 2004.

1. H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    I recently went to a blues jam session (my first time playing with other musicians, i have only been playing for six months) and was able to play some songs even tough i did not know them. So i asked a friend (a sax player) what would be the best way to get familiar with the blues standards, he sugested i get a Blues Fake book so i did. It arrived yesterday and looking through it, it only has the treble clef and chords. As a bass player how do i use this book? Any siggestions would be gratly appreciated as i would like to learn the songs so i will be prepared next time i go. Thanks!
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The idea would be to make up your own bass lines based on the chords. So you can start with roots and fifths of the chord then add in more chord tones, passing notes etc.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The best way to get familiar with the blues standards is to go and buy "greatest hits" or "best of" CDs of the major artists: BB King, Albert King, Freddie King, Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Otis Rush, Albert Collins, T-Bone Walker, John Lee Hooker, Jimmy Reed, Buddy Guy, Junior Wells, etc.

Then just listen and pick up the lines by ear.
  4. I'd do a cross between both of those two esteemed gentlemen's posts. Listen to what's going on with the recordings, if you're not that good at picking stuff out by ear, look at the fake book and figure out what your root is by the notation of the chord. If you figure a lot of those blues runs are similar, you can literally "fake" a proper bass line that sounds like it really was supposed to!
  5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I think you probably know this, but those are all lead sheets. You should be able to construct your own bass-lines around them.