Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do in-ears work?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tames, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    I know this isn't technically supposed to go in RECORDING gear, but there isn't really a "live gear" forum. I've always been curious as to how Shure In-Ears work. I'd love the whole band to use these when we record and record live so we can feel like we're on stage.

Now when I say "how do they work" I don't mean "oh hey how does the sound go in your ears like that!!" I mean how does everyone get a personal mix? I know these units are pricey but how is it possible for EVERYONE using a unit to get their OWN personal mix? I've always been curious and I thought before I go spend money on one, I'd like to see what goes into making one of these work, much less work for the entire band to get their own mix.

In advance I don't care about which brand is the best to do this, or gripes that I should be spending money otherwise. I just was wondering how these worked! Thanks to everyone in advance for being awesome and helping me becuase you rock :)

2. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    WE use a Sure in ear system at my church. Not the wireless type though.

The system is powered by it's own amplifier and runs through our board pre EQ.

They are a lot of work to set up though. We had to run CAT5 cables from the Sure amp up to the stage, about 70'. Mount and run the ports in the stage, and the hook everything up.

Each person using them has there own mixer on stage mounted on a mic stand and you can dial in how much guitar/drums/bass/keys/vocals you want to hear. The system actually works very well and you get a great personal mix. The control is volume level only there is no eq on the personal mixers.

Now saying that.

I have never really adapted to them. I have used them for about a year now and can't say that I really like them. They have made the sound quality for the congregation better by eliminating the "mud" created by the stage monitors clashing with the house speakers, and my monitor level is always perfect but...

They have also made it harder to communicate on stage. We have to use hand signals and if someone isn't looking at you you're out of luck. I also feel cut off from the congregation and you can't feel or hear the energy from them.

Everyone else in the band is ok with them.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Fair enough, but I'm going to move this to Misc anyway, only because I know that more live sound guru's hang out there than in the Recording gear forum.

4. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    alright, thanks... I wasn't sure... but thank you.

Alright so you're saying that the unit that comes with an in-ear system is only a sort of amp... or transmitter (for wireless) and then... wait are there two units? how do the untouched signals get from the mixer, seperated, to a unit on stage to mix between several people... does each person have their own actual mixer? or is this a Shure device too? see I'm COMPLETELY retarded to this. I'm just having trouble figuring everything out.

Run me through a typical complete set up for ONE wireless unit if you could... anyone please!

5. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    There is one part that has an amp and it plugs into the sound board. The signal is then sent through CAT5 cable to the stage.

The CAT5 cables are pulled through the same conduit as the snake wireing.

Each unit on stage plugs into a CAT5 port on stage.

The signals are sent either pre or post EQ to the mixers on stage.

If you want I will shoot a couple of digitals tonight at rehearsal and it should give you a good visual of what I'm talking about.

6. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY