Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you blend a mic and a pick up?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Ryan Nilson, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Ryan Nilson

Ryan Nilson

Feb 10, 2006
    Kansas City
    Right now I have a AI Contra and a realist. I am finding that when I amplify I come up with a Flat "Stringy" sound rather than the full "Body" sound I get unamplified. I don't know if I am using the right terms. I really like the sound that comes from inside my bass as apposed to off the strings like a BG might sound. This was ok for a while, but I am finding I am becoming more fussy about my sound the longer I play. I am wondering if this is somthing that can be adressed by using a mic? If so how do you blend a mic pick up singnal? Do I need a pre amp?
    Thanks,
    Ryan:help:

2. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Lots of people use the D-TAR Solstice to blend signals.

It's a bit pricey but I haven't heard of anyone regretting purchasing one.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    If you had a coda, you could've plugged one into each channel.

4. I have a coda and but i blend a mic with a pu with a different way using only one channel:
    I use the K&K Golden Bullet mic with the GigPro preamp (it can power the mic with fantom power 9V), then i drive the signal to the effects return input of the same channel (1st channel) where i plug the pickup (high Z input).
    I can adjust the mic signal amount using the effects blend knob , or also using the volume knob of the GigPro preamp.
    I think it works very good to me.

5. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I just got a hold of Rane AP-13. I don't have a mic for to mix with my piezo yet, but it looks like just the thing. Rane is a great brand- they're known for top - notch mixers. Cheers.

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I'll say it again (in another thread this time). This is friggin' brilliant.

Don't know if it would work for everyone, but it's rather ingenious, eh?