1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you buy time on stage?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Anthony Lap, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Anthony Lap

Anthony Lap

Jul 1, 2019
    Hello folks,
    I don’t like noodling around between songs but there are situations where you might have to “buy time” on stage for other band members (re-tuning, broken strings, fired the drummer and need to find a replacement, etc.). In our actual set list, our guitarist does a solo song in Open C tuning and needs time to retune his guitar after. I would love to hear ideas, favourites songs or techniques that you guys use it to fill up time with bass only while waiting for the rest of the band.

wintremute likes this.
  2. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    It's the guitarist's fault, let them fix it.
    Bring second guitar for that one song.
    Learn to solo in standard tuning.
    Cut the song.

If the band must fix the issue, learn a song that does not require the guitarist, have them Get a tuning pedal with mute and sit out for a song.

MarkJC8, Evil Funk, ThePez and 30 others like this.
  3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    He should have two guitars. That’s a lot of tuning time.
    Depending where you are playing you could ask the bar owner if you could mention any events coming up, drink specials, or what band is playing tomorrow night. You could learn some dumb jokes or introduce the band.

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    What’s so special about that song? I’d never have something like that in our set. He needs another guitar or lose the “solo” feature.

crguti, Evil Funk, Ian Lewis and 4 others like this.
  5. Anthony Lap

Anthony Lap

Jul 1, 2019
    Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding but my question wasn’t only about that one song or C tuning, it was more asking for an “everyday tool”, something that you can use at a given time to fill up time, regardless of the reasons why.

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Drum and bass intro to the next song for as long as needed.

7. Anthony Lap

Anthony Lap

Jul 1, 2019
    Do you have any examples of songs with long bass intros?

8. brocket

brocket

Sep 12, 2017
    Coastal NC
    Typically just playing the verse chords or something similar works for a longer intro. A helpful side effect is that a drum and bass intro gets awkward for everyone after awhile, so that might get the guitarist to think about how he can do things a little quicker to finish it sooner.

My band has a handful of random tunes in our back pocket that we’ll pull out if it seems like a transition is taking too long. Typically the keyboard player, drummer and myself are ready to go, so we’ll play something like a cheesy 80s song. It gives the audience something to listen to, and gives the singers an opportunity for some banter.

The single biggest thing that will help transitions is intentional setlist planning and practice. If we have a big show coming up, we’ll just practice beginnings and endings to make sure everyone knows exactly what needs to be done between songs.

9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Every song can have a long bass and drums intro if you're a half decent musician.

10. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Learn a bunch of really bad jokes, the lamer they are, the more laughs you will get. If you're lucky and get a heckler, have some good generic responses up your sleeve, or ask them to come up and do better.

11. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Peter Gunn theme song...…..Into a drum solo.....followed by Wipeout.

12. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    This stuff drives me nuts. My band has too much of it. The right answer is to drop the song. Even a guitar switch is too much, in my opinion. Keep it moving.

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Pick a good song and write your own.

Alternatively do a long outro on your last number while the other player is getting set up for the next song.

But whatever you do, make it creative enough that it’s not obvious you’re stalling. .

Mr_Moo and LBS-bass like this.
  14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Golden Earring: Radar Love
    Led Zep: How Many More Times
    Led Zep: Moby Dick
    Allman Bro’s: Whipping Post
    The Beatles: Come Together
    Cream: Badge
    Cream: Sunshine of Your Love
    Grand Funk Railroad: Closer to Home

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  15. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    dont have down time

16. ec2bass

ec2bass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Texas
    An old band I was in, did I say OLD, used to do "Toad" by Cream and leave the drummer to do his thing. He could go about 15-20 minutes. We would leave the stage. No lead guitar required.

Mr_Moo, Andre678 and OogieWaWa like this.
  17. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Do crowd work.
    -Introduce the band members
    -Plug the band website
    -Talk up the establishment/barstaff/ when you'll be back

18. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    BASS SOLO

19. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    Pull out the 70s rap hit "wrappers delight" if your singer can pull it off.

20. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If your guitarist needs to do a song in a separate tuning, he should have a second guitar. You aren't Led Zeppelin - you aren't the star. You are there to entertain, not indulge your egos.

Short of that, pick a song where you don't need him for 30 seconds or so. He can silently tune while you all play like big boys.