how do you "drive" your band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    here's the deal.

i'm in the middle of starting a funk / hip-hop band.

so far it's me on bass :bassist: , and my two good buddies on geeetar and drums.

we're looking to add rappers, vocals, dj, horns, etc....

so getting a band like this together will be no small task.

aside from being a solid bassist my strengths are motivation, orginization, vision, and getting everyone on the same page. spelling is not one of my strong points.

i know if i took a passive role NOTHING would happen...but at the same time i kinda feel like a boss or something pushing everyone, taking the lead role and what not.

anyone got any advice. help me spread the funk all over the land. :hyper:
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, if you're going to be the driver, here's what you need to do. First, get yourself a hair coat. This is a medieval jacket made of horse hair, and it's intensely irritating to the skin. So much so that it will rub you raw in a few hours. Wear that for a week or so, then take it off. Let your skin heal for two weeks, then put the coat back on for two weeks. Repeat this procedure for about six months.

OK, now your skin is thick enough to run the band. Stay focused on the direction you want the band to go. Be firm with practice expectations, and find good, committed musicians. If someone is headed in a different direction, invite them to leave. Be fair. Listen to the ideas of the others. Rule. You are god.
  3. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    YES!!!! I AM GOD!!!!!!!!
  4. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    I know how you feel. I am in a band that I formed about two years ago. Everyone gets along great, it's me on bass, an excellent drummer, two smoking guitarists and a singer. We have not had a gig in a YEAR! because of the singer having had a variety of freaky health problems and the drummer having a killer work schedule the last couple of months. I get frustrated at it at times but what do you do. Most everyone else kinda waits on me to get things together and I don't think much would happen if I didn't push it. The singer is still using lyric sheets for most of the songs and it sometimes drives me crazy. He is a great guy and I hate to replace him but I don't know what to do, wait it out and see if things get better. I'm filling in with another band of a friend of mine and I'm gonna do more gigs with them in one month then I have with my own band in 18 months! Thanks for allowing me to vent and I am listening for ideas as well...
  5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    One of the keys is to be organized and motivated. The organization part was and is difficult for me. Being organized is key because you will need to deal with a myriad of details and information at any given time - keeping track of your contacts, developing promotion plans, figuring out finances, optimizing stage set-up, writing up set lists,working on your sound, scheduling gigs and practices, getting directions to people, maintaining a mailing list, sending out promo packets and press releases, finding the best deals, delegating tasks, etc.. If you are a scatterbrain like myself this is nervewracking. The motiviation part is what drives the organization. You need to be motivated so that it rubs off on your bandmates and makes up for times when their motivation is lacking.

The thing that keeps bands together is gigs. The thing that keeps them moving forward is practice. It's hard to maintain a band without gigs. People who are serious about music want to be heard, whether on a stage or CD. Even crappy bands and fragile egos stay together when there is a paycheck or adoring fans involved. Practice is the key to the band getting better. Even though gigs are a good and long "practice" sessions, you still need rehearsals to work on things without worrying about the gig being on the line. Practice is the work, and the gig is the reward. A reward without work doesn't feel as much like a reward, work without reward becomes drudgery.
  6. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Make sure you write the songs.
  7. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i guess that if u r the founder of the band and ur chops are up to speed everyone who comes in the band will respect that. just be sure that you leave enough room for the ideas of other bandmembers, especially vocals r pretty demanding. don't force anything, try to convince them with your views of things if you have to.
  8. Basho

Basho Guest

Good stuff. :D
  9. FourstringPluck

Jul 2, 2004
    Me and a buddy started a band a few years ago, and only in those years we have had three drummers :p, but that is us two kicking the previous ones out. I think it is very important that everyone in a band are equally motivated, and want to achieve the same goals... because then, when you play a gig the entire band is gatherd around the same experience and you get this incredible bond that only music can make.....

when it comes to management, I think that the leader should do everything he/she can to lessen the work of the others, as in checking when to meet at the arena, talking to the sound guy(if there is one) and checking the drum situation.
    I do not think that the drums shuold be soleley the drummers responsibility, because it should be as few people as possible dealing with the management of the arena of the gig. This eases the work for everyone!
    I also think that a collaboration in the songwriting process is utmost important, because then again you get this synergy when you preform the songs(especially if the audience likes it)
  10. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    A bass player as the behind the scenes sane motivational band leader? Sounds so foreign :rollno: If you choose to play bass my brother, get used to that roll.
  11. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Liquor and large pointed sticks....
  12. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Wow...that's the same way it is in my band. Just without the liquor :p
  13. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I can't get them to practice without the liquor...[​IMG]
  14. dirtgroove