1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you humidify your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mitzache, Mar 22, 2013.

1. mitzache

mitzache

Jan 14, 2013
    Hi guys, Winter is over but there is still cold outside and heaters running inside the house. I wonder how other people humidify their instruments? I usually take all my five basses in the bathroom and keep them there with door closed while I take a shower..:) sounds funny but it does the trick. How about you?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    CHANGE in humidity affects my basses in that it affects the action.

Sticking your basses in the bathroom while you shower will do nothing to the wood and is a total waste of your time.

If you want to do them well, keep a humidifier on your house system so the humidity stays CONSTANT.

3. Whatever beer gets spilled on my bass is the extent of my humidifying procedure.

4. pee on it

5. FourtyOneHz

FourtyOneHz

Dec 16, 2012
    I built a giant humidor for my basses, and it has the additional benefit of keeping my cigars fresh!

6. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    ^ This guy knows how to live life. :cool:

7. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I moved to South Florida.

8. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I keep the door to the music room closed and keep a humidifier running all winter.

Unfortunately, I don't smoke cigars so I can't take advantage of the two-for-one deal.

9. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Best "humidity" answer, EVAR !!!

10. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    That'll do it for sure.

11. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    Doesn't that just make them... umm... wet? As someone else stated, it's the changes in humidity that affect the wood. Your shower routine is more likely to create problems with metal and electrical component corrosion than solve any "dry wood" problems. Anyway, the wood is most likely sealed, 20 minutes in a very humid room is probably a bad idea.

12. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Oh man! That's what I was going to say!

13. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Great minds, eh Bob? My rock/metal band has played a few shows in the Treasure Coast area recently (one of the guitarists works in Port St. Lucie).

14. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    This and a hygrometer to be sure it's accurate & constant.
    Humidifiers in cases can be problematic.

Then a dehumidifier to keep your basses groovy in the summer.

15. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I plumbed in a whole house humidifier to my furnace. Helps with chapped lips and dry noses. Easy to install and if you run a water line to it you never have to fill it.

16. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    I spill beer on it at a gig.

17. JMarsh

JMarsh Supporting Member

May 22, 2007
    Seattle
    I live in Seattle. No additional humidity needed.

18. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Let me know when you come back! My office is in Port St. Lucie.

19. This... And I keep mine in my basement. Colorado is dry, anyway & not a ton of humidity fluctuation.

20. Liam76

Liam76

Dec 28, 2012
    Sweat and drool.

No, but actually, I used to keep all my instruments near the windows during the winter, and seemed like the hardware reacted more than the wood. On two of them, the control knobs (all with set-screws) just popped off for no reason, and the edges of the frets just didn't feel right. I was concerned about my open-grain finished bass guitars, but this happened with my poly finished Fenders.