How do you learn more about amp-things?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yossarian, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum for asking this, but I always hear people talking about making their own cabs and installing speakers themselves and things like that... where do you learn to do these things? I've got a GK 210SBX with the speakers blown out that I was planning just to sell, but then I thought maybe I should try to install some new speakers. Are there books I could read, or some websites I could check out? I know I can take it to a shop or something and have them do it, but I'd really like to learn to do some of this stuff myself... if I can.
  2. Yes you are in the right forum.

First of all go to your library and get "The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" by Vance Dickason. Or go buy it if you want to spend the $40. Then go to the internet and search on DIY speaker ("do it yourself"). There are a ton of web sites to learn from. Then do a search on WinISD and download the program. It is a speaker design program that will help you calculate box and vent sizes based on the Thiele/Small parameters of the speaker you are using. Some of this might sound like greek to you now, but if you read and dig a little bit you'll soon figure out what they are talking about. I think somebody, Bgavin or Juris, or Petebass might have a FAQ to read, and Gavin has a big spreadsheet that has tons of speaker info on it too.

That's a start, you could probably look around and find more stuff than that.

Happy speaker building.
  3. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    This guy's pretty good, geared more toward home audio, but it still applies.
    And winISD is a great free program, I second that.