1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how do you move gear with a bad back?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TOOL460002, Oct 31, 2008.

1. hello- due to a recent injury/surgery i find myself quite interested in the transportation aspects of medium to larger sized rigs. are there any tricks or gadgets that make this easier/less risky? ive got a 100lb 410 at the moment- and am considering 2 lightweight 210 cabs- and possibly downsizing my rack. i will probably stick with eden products- but am open to any and all suggestions.

2. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    [​IMG]

3. Purchase little elves to do your work. :p

But really..
    +1 to the guy above me

4. canshaker

canshaker

Dec 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown/ESP/Dunlop/Line 6/Normandy.
    Put casters on the cab.

5. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Buy a $30 folding two-wheel cart at Home Depot.

6. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Do what I did- go to a lighter rig. GKRb700II ( 16.5lbs ), Carvin LS1503 on casters. :hyper:

7. Double up on the lifting with your bandmates as much as you can and always 'lift' with your legs. This should be a rule that we always follow. Let's save our backs and live to play to a ripe old age. Like 57 (me).

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Carts and stuff are good - and inexpensive - options, but you still have to lift it onto the cart, in and out of the vehicle, etc. There won't always be people around to help. You are still dealing with the weight - just not for long periods of time.

Shoot, I had a friend throw out his back wiping his...

Anyway, I would suggest ultra light gear. I don't have back problems - yet. Actually, I did more of the heavy lifting in a past band than guys 15 years younger than me. But to avoid future problems, and because it sounds great, I use a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 10T combo for all my gigs - small, medium and large. It's mostly a stage monitor as the PA does (should be doing) most of the work.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    And since your injured, the 100lbs may aggravate the injury. You'll really need to get others to pick up the cab when necessary during load in/load out.

As the others suggested, get a super light weight rig that will be easier to carry now and after you've recovered.

10. i have a bad back too. i discovered markbass. very powerful amps, very light. i have the CMD 151P, which is one big 15" speaker with 400 watts. love the sound, love the quality, love the weight, around 45 lbs. good luck.

11. Always ask for help.

I use a 2x15. It's 115 pounds, but it's EASIER to get into the car than the 4x10. It's a matter of "tilt and push" rather than deadlifting 90 pounds.

Always ask for help.

Always keep your back straight and lift with your legs. Even for stuff that you don't think will be heavy.

Don't twist. If you're moving something, move your feet, don't twist your trunk.

Be smart, if you think it just *might* be discomforting to you, ask for help.

12. I echo the sentiments for lighter gear, and most definitely for a convertible cart. Not a folding one, but one that can be quickly configured to do the typical hand-cart role as well as a rolling cart. This one is very close to the one I have:

http://www.engineersupply.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ES808&affid=16
    ES808-Safco-Tuff-Truck-Convertible-Hand-Truck-4070-md.

Not only is this great for your back, but the convenience is outstanding. Obviously you'll also want to be very cautious doing the lifting - use your legs and all that. Finally, I'd recommend paying attention to your posture while playing. Good luck with everything!

13. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Not bad but if you want up stairs you will need this little
    invention:
    [​IMG]
    We don't care we have a secret weapon! the bloke who looks like an extra off "Brave Heart" in the left of this picture, that's big Martin:
    [​IMG]
    "Let me tell you laddies, ya wee little sasanack worums! i'll wager he'd toss your wee pissy little cabinet aboot like a matchbox, Aye!".
    All together now in a huge Brian Blessed voice "Are we not Men!?":bag:

14. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    My achy, herniated disc, spasm-prone back caused me to switch first to combos with casters, then later to compact SS heads and Schroeder cabs.

I'm convinced I was done in by a weighty Yamaha 2x15 in the mid '80s!

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Get lighter gear and roadies... There is no easy way to haul a 100lb cab... It's just a matter of time before you do serious damage... don't take the chance....

16. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I believe I have already designed a little something for your needs.
    See the following thread.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6464976#post6464976
    :ninja:

17. lposavad

lposavad Supporting Member

Carvin LS1503 or equivalent. The LS1503 is about 57 pounds, has a 15", 6" and tweeter, and apparently sounds so good that there are three posts of rabid fans for this cab.

Another thought; let the PA do the 'heavy lifting'. Just bring enough amp to hear yourself and run a line into the house system.

18. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Well if you have the extra money these work really well.

ZEgZX6034290-02.

19. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
  20. DADDYBASS1

DADDYBASS1

Jun 11, 2006
    PHX
    I suggest the lightest gear you can afford.I have a bad back also . I strongly reccommend Schroeder 1210 cabs , They've worked very well for me with my back issues.:D