1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you open a Hartke TX600 head to replace the tube?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TomAbeyawardene, Jun 20, 2019.

1. TomAbeyawardene

TomAbeyawardene

Jun 20, 2019
    I'm wanting to replace the tube in my Hartke TX600 head as after letting a friend borrow it there has been greatly increased preamp hiss. Unfortunately sending it to a verified service centre is not an option as the postage would be too expensive.

I have a few tubes I would like to try but cannot figure out which screws to undo to open the head, I can't find any documentation to help with this.
    Does anyone know how to open a Tx600 head?

Thanks in advance :)

And yes I am now a lot less friendly with that guy....

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    A failing preamp tube (which is unlikely) has absolutely nothing to do with your friend's use of your amp.

There should be information in the owner's manual of access to the tube is "tricky".

Kriegs likes this.
  3. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

Mar 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
  4. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    My gut reaction is that if you have to ask how to take the chassis apart, you don't need to be doing it. Heed the sage advice already given.

aprod, Aqualung60 and aproud1 like this.
  5. TomAbeyawardene

TomAbeyawardene

Jun 20, 2019
    Thanks for the advice guys but really I AM COMPLETELY UNABLE TO SHIP THE AMP BACK TO HARTKE due to where I live.
    It would genuinely be cheaper to buy a new one than pay for the shipping.
    Also I would like to try out a few different tubes to see if I can get more overdriven tones from the currently very clean preamp, so opening the amp myself is rather essential.

And the owners manual is of absolutely no use.

6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Since we have no idea where you are located, it's tough to make useful suggestions.

Your initial problem in not likely due to the tube. You need to identify the cause of the problem before assuming a solution. This generally takes some knowledge of electronics, safety procedures as well as some test equipment.

Do you have any of this?

7. TomAbeyawardene

TomAbeyawardene

Jun 20, 2019
    Yes I do.
    I'm asking if anyone knows how to open my head.
    I was probably going to change the tube at some point anyway.
    Telling me that the tube probably does not have anything to do with the hiss is not useful to me in any way.

I appreciate the feedback but all I want to know is how to get into my head.
    It must be possible as they put the thing together.

And I live in the UK but I'm completely broke at the moment.
    And yes calling it a tube not a valve hurts me.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I would take take the screws(Phillips Head) out of the top. The tube should be in the left front Quadrant.

9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Since you don't see any value in useful information, and you are completely broke, additional valuable information that you might not see any value in would be to leave your "valve" alone, if it's not broken then don't fix it. It's not going to change the ability to overdrive your amp as there's not enough gain in the circuit to do so with a typical bass.

A better and more valuable and useful suggestion would be to look at an overdrive pedal, which would be MUCH more effective than wasting money you don't have on a solution that won't do as you hope.

If all you are asking for is a confirmation and stroking of your poor idea, just disregard everything I have suggested as clearly "I don't know what I'm talking about"...

Being in the UK doesn't mean there's no qualified techs that could (properly) troubleshoot your original problem (to see if there's really a problem first) and then suggest a solution that will work. Good techs don't work for free of course.

Omega Monkey, dan1952, Slater and 9 others like this.
  10. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    This +1000!

dan1952 likes this.
  11. TomAbeyawardene

TomAbeyawardene

Jun 20, 2019
    Sorry if I caused any offense.
    From what I have read and heard of tube amps on other forums and from knowledgeable people around and about changing the tube can influence the ability to overdrive, and simply changing the valve is not a process that can destroy an amp. If this is incorrect I am happy to be corrected with explanation of why.

I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the TX600 head in this regard.

I will heed your warnings and look into overdrive/distortion pedals, perhaps selling the tubes I have to pay for it.

Thanks again

Charlzm likes this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Probably won't influence that amp all that much, but it very well could be a tube that's hissy, and if you have a spare around, it's worth it to try it IMHO and it won't hurt the amp to do it. Should just have to take out the top screws, lift the lid, pop the old tube out, pop the new one in. Just don't have it plugged in while you open it up and don't touch anything else but the tube.

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You do not have a tube amp.

dan1952 and JimmyM like this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That is true. He has a hybrid.

dan1952 likes this.
  15. TomAbeyawardene

TomAbeyawardene

Jun 20, 2019
    Yup. The I'm assuming preamplifiers in all tube amps function similarly to the one in my hybrid, cause you never see stuff on hybrids anywhere.

Again please correct me if I'm wrong though.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    They don't. Some amps use the tube fully, some amps use them in what's called a "starved plate" functionality, which increases tube life and does give you some tube vibe, but it cuts down a bit on the tubiness and you won't hear much change when you swap out different tubes. But I absolutely have had amps that were buzzing because of a bad tube, and it's the easiest thing to try and always the first thing I suspect when an amp with a tube goes haywire. At worst, you'll have to send it off if the new tube doesn't clear it up, so I think it's worth a shot.

17. RiffwRiter

RiffwRiter

Aug 23, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I had a store owner tell me that Hartke amps are notoriously harder too work on than they should be. I had a lead sled Hartke amp head that had one bad input Jack. He wasn't interested in trading for it because the repair cost even for just a Jack on that and would make it cost more than he could make.
    I would up replacing it myself, but it was a lot of screws and bits to remove just to replace a jack.
    It wasn't a Tx600 so I can't tell you exactly what to do, but I can witness in your defense of puzzling repairs on a Hartke.

18. TomAbeyawardene

TomAbeyawardene

Jun 20, 2019
    Alright thanks mate.
    The phrase rings a bell, a vague memory tells me that 'starved plate' circuits use a lower voltage across the tube, making it much more ineffective (if that's the right word) in the circuit.
    The TX600 uses the preamp from the LH1000 head I think, I don't know if this is regular or starved plate.

JimmyM likes this.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm not sure about them either, but I've heard from others that they don't notice much change at all from tube swaps in Hartke amps. Don't know if that means starved plate or some other type of design that makes tube changes more consistent, but that's what I hear from folks.

20. TomAbeyawardene

TomAbeyawardene

Jun 20, 2019
    Yeah I really don't know how they make a casing so confusing. To make matters worse the handle is embedded in the side of the amp so its part of the structure too.