1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How Do You Play This Part?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Fontaine, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    i'm hvaing trouble with this part of the bass tab its where theres 2 parts u have to pluck er something like that instead of just one, can someone explain please?

i was wondering if u had to hold the both of them and strum or pick the both at the same time, i'm really confused.

there should be a pic. with this to show...

[​IMG]

2. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    I'm no tabaholic, but it sure looks like a 2 finger chord to me. I'd likely try my thumb and index finger plucking together.... but I could be proved wrong at any point after this, because I don't use tabs, and barely understand them myself, lol.

3. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I don't use tabs but it looks like an octave double-stop played on the D (5th fret, A string) & D (7th fret, G string) simultaneously.

4. You can play an open D instead of 5th fret on A.

5. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    so it looks like i'll have to play both the same time :\ lol.

ps: thanks for the help!

pps: if this is wrong please post and tell me :)

6. if the tab is correct, strum an open D with the octave (7th fret G string). Much easier and much less noise from other strings.

7. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    thank you!

lol...:bassist:

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Strum? Strum?!
    "YOU DON'T STRUM A BASS"!-
    David Cassidy to Danny "The Partridge Family is bigger than The Beatles ergo I am bigger than McCartney" Bonaduce.

;)

9. I strum - back 'n' forth with the index and middle fingers - especially if I am doing an 'open string with fretted notes one string up' thing. You can get a really nice drone/sitar-ish thing when you let your fingers whack the strings back 'n' forth as opposed to individually plucking the notes with 2 fingers.

Another approach is plucking the notes with 2 fingers. You can grab the A string and the G string with your right hand index and middle fingers, respectively and simultaneously pluck 'em pretty easily. However, if this is a really fast song that could be challenging.

Yet another approach is to do the 'octave configuration' (index on 5th fret, ring-finger on the 7th) with your left hand muting the D string by letting your index finger lightly lay across it rather then giving the neck the grip of death.

And finally, if you do go for the open D/fretted G string approach and are anti-strum, the 2-finger pluck works quite well there too.

BTW, did I mention that I love open D/fretted G string parts? Something really soothing and unlimited about that scene - just go nutty up and down the G string and you will sound like Ravi Shankar before you know it!

--tz

10. I would play that one with the thumb on the A string, index finger on the G string. It's one simple motion of pulling the thumb and index finger together and slightly up from the strings. The same thing on the E and G strings might be more comfortable with the thumb and middle finger.

Two advantages of doing it this way are it enables you to perform the same skill on any notes (no open strings required), and it is easier to articulate (control) fretted strings than open strings. Use the index finger on your fret hand to mute the D string.

To master this skill, try starting at the first fret on A, third on G and play one or two notes per fret all the way up the neck and back down, slowly at first and then gain speed. Try playing smoothly with minimal space between the notes, or try making the notes short with quiet space in between.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yes, the OPEN "D" serves as a drone...Dennis Dunaway does this nicely in "Dead Babies" & "Gutter Cats vs. The Jets".