Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you set your strap?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Jazz high

53 vote(s)
    40.8%
  2. Punk low

6 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. In the middle?

59 vote(s)
    45.4%
  4. I adjust my strap depending on the style of music I play

12 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Whether you wear your bass jazz high or punk low, it is all based on preference and your comfort level for playing. I never keep it consistant and always adjust my strap depending on the type of song I am playing. Does anyone else do this?

2. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    "Jazz high," if that's the word for it.

People who keep their axe closer to their heart are playing from their heart.

People who keep it closer to their hoo-hah are using it as an extension.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    right undereath my belly. it falls kinda in the middlew i guess.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Jazz high for me. I try to make sure that the middle part of my bass' 22nd fret matches the end of my sternum.

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I used to play low...

Like Kris Novaselic Low... Like almost to my ankles low... ok.. not that low.. but you get the point.

Then I realized I played best while sitting down with my bass in my lap...

So all my straps are adjusted so that the bass sits more or less at the same place where it sits when I am sitting down.

It's not so high that I need to actually undo my strap to get it off (or look like an NFL lineman getting his pads on) and it's not low..

So I guess I play from my gut!

I use leather straps and straplocks, so adjustments are a pain in the butt. I adjust them.. and leave them...

6. I adjust the strap, and thus the bass height relative to my body, so that the depression on the top rear of the bass is just at my lowest right rib.

I find this to be the best position for a balance between the amount of bend in the right vs. left wrists.

7. triggert

triggert

Feb 5, 2005
    I agree with that, I could play pretty good when I was sitting down but I noticed that whenever I stood up to play it just sucked. So I adjusted my strap to where its exactly the same postion standing as it would be sitting down. Works like a charm!

Trigg

8. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yeah, that's about where I wear it...and angled so that the nut is about at eye level.

It's all about ergonomics. If you wear it lower, you have to pronate your left wrist too much to reach around the neck and fret cleanly. If you wear it much higher (or angle the neck down) then your right wrist is bent too much. Which I think is what Cristo was referring to.

Funny thing is, I didn't realize I needed to wear it higher until I saw a picture of myself playing. Something just looked wrong, so I raised it up about four or five inches. Much better now, though it did take a little bit of getting used to.

Speaking of appearances, if you're short like me (5'7" on a good day), wearing such a large instrument really low looks plain thtoopid. Wearing it higher makes you look taller.

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I have it maybe an inch (or less) lower than the level it would be when I'm sitting down. I don't like it to move too much between sitting down and standing up. And I also find it harder to slap if it's too low.

10. I hav it so the upper horn is over my pectorals. the same as when im sitting and playing.

11. I play a jazz bass the and its set up where the cut out matches my belly output its really comfortable. ;)

12. larryl

larryl

Feb 1, 2005
    North Jersey
    I agree with adouglass. Setting the nut at eye level seems to be the best for both hands. I can play four sets without either hand getting cramps or overly tired.

13. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    I keep it the same as if I am sitting, or just slightly higher.

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I set my strat to 34" from hole to hole. I wear it very high.

15. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I have little tip of how i adjust my strap. I put my thumb in my navel/belly button and right below my thumb should the bass be. It's just the right length for me comfortably.

16. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
  17. I play "jazz-high." i used to play punk rock hang her low or dont play at all, but then after playing a show i realize dhow much my wrist hurt. Normallly when i get a new strap or bass, i set it up so that if the strap were to be on when i play sitting down it isnt sitting on my lap, its hanging there by a tad. Thus i dont use a starp when sitting down, but when standing its a little higher then when sitting. Also my two fives(washburn and fender jazz) are a little higher then my 4 jazz or my 4 p-bass.

Kyle

18. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The portion of the body between the pups is at my belt level.

19. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The bottom of my strap is above my belt buckle. Sooooooo easy to play.

20. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    As low as the strap will go. I've played like this since day one and I feel strange having it up high and I cramp up fast when it's Jazz high.