1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How does Warmouth work?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Danni Moe, May 26, 2011.

1. Danni Moe

Danni Moe

Mar 2, 2011
    I've been thinking about a custom bass for a long time and Warmouth looks pretty good. Main question is the pickups. do the bodies come with the pickups you select on the site or do you have to look for them yourself? And are the basses any good?

2. Warmoth sells parts only. It's up to you to choose what parts you're going to buy from them, or elsewhere.

3. Danni Moe

Danni Moe

Mar 2, 2011
    you know, that makes sense.

4. Yes, you must choose every last detail. Nothing is standard. They have some brands of pickups available for sale, or you can bring in your own parts. I don't own a Warmoth bass yet, but I am not hearing too many complaints.

A guitarist, whom I play in a band with, recently had a custom Stratocaster body made of Black Korina that he was able to hand pick at the shop. My friend was able to complete his project with that custom body because he had all of the other parts already, including the neck. He also chose to do all of the final assembly and set-up.

So, with Warmoth they can do it all from A to Z, or you can commission individual parts for your own DIY build.

5. Am I the only one that thinks "Warmouth" is a great name for a metal band?

6. Warmouth if you have a really angry lead singer.

Warmoth if you need custom guitar parts, or want to project the image of a very aggressive flying insect.

7. I haven't made any basses yet but I am very impressed with the Tele neck (kingswood on birdseye maple) and a great Strat body (swamp ash with the natural masked binding). They have unique colors and finish options and will route for just about any combination of pickups and controls you would ever need.

8. You also have to keep in mind that Warmoth, although a custom parts producer, still can't do everything under the sun.

That includes even vintage Fender specs.

I really appreciate them finally offering an option to opt out on those heavy double steel bars in their necks, but I wish they could also offer custom fretboard radii, one-piece maple necks, etc.

With how things are looking out, I'm probably going to go with USACG for my necks if I find I can't live with those flat necks.

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    They make VERY good parts, but they aren't for everyone. Remember, a bunch of parts a bass is not...

their necks tend to be chunky (they do have thinner necks for 4 string now - not for 5). That said, their workmanship is great.

10. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I ordered a P neck for my Squier CV Jazz. I love big chunky necks. :)

11. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    You will not be disappointed.

12. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    Their necks fit the bodies like you wouldn't believe, very high quality construction and large selection of woods/options. They can be frustrating to work with depending on what you want, who you talk to. If you have an idea in your head, really think it out, do your research, if you are skilled enough to put it together yourself, Warmoth can't be beat. I have have had great success assembling exactly what I wanted through Warmoth. Pickups and hardware can be found cheaper elsewhere but do your research first.

13. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    When you select pickup types during the body build process you're selecting what routing they'll do. They do sell quite a few pickups on the site as well, but you might be able to find a better deal or free shipping on the hardware/pickups elsewhere.

14. I am currently doing 2 projects.
    #1 is a quilt top Jazz body I bought off bassgear.com.
    The body was sold by STEWMAC.COM : Guitar, Bass, Banjo, Mandolin, Parts, Tools, Supplies, Free Information several years ago. I got it cheap, and the guy threw in the bridge and Duncan pickups for $250. I ordered a Warmoth J neck.
    The guy at Warmoth (Matt) was really cool on the phone.
    I got the neck, Graphtech nut, Scaller BML tuners, shipped for $285. I'm gonna finish it myself.
    Here is the body
    photo.

#2 is a P bass. I am getting the body from this guy I found on Ebay. guitar bodies items - Get great deals on Jazz bass body, telecaster body items on eBay Stores!
    Its an Alder P finished in an old Fender custom color Ocean Turquoise Metallic, nitro. Check this out $225.
    Sounds too good to be true. Probably is...we'll see.
    Neck is by USACG. I wanted a chunkier/fatter neck profile like the Fenders from the early 60's had.
    Warmoth could/would not do it. The guy there gave me a good deal.
    My point is, there are other people worth looking into.
    I guess the guy at USACG used to work at Warmoth. They are in the same city in Washington state.

15. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I've built a few Warmoth basses for myself:

Jazzes03-14-11.

And a Warmoth guitar for my guitarist:

Front4a.

I enjoy putting them together and setting them up and tweaking them till they're perfect. Ever since I've been playing, I've been tinkering with my gear, trying to improve things, so Warmoth is really the right thing for me.

16. You KNOW you set yourself up for this question, danomite.

What'd you do to the headstock and labels?

17. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    yeah, got to say... I tut-tutted that...

18. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Sorry, the store was all out of "Hentor Barbarian Bass" decals......