1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How good do you think you are?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by DBCrocky, Aug 24, 2012.

1. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    ... as a bass/player musician?

Is it important to you to feel successful?
    Is it important to you that your peers see you as successful?
    Do you have something to prove?
    How do you measure your own success?
    How do you think others measure your success in their minds?
    Do you think of TB as a place where you can compare yourself against others and measure your success?
    Do you think your own sense of status on TB translates to status in the real world?
    Do you think people on TB look up to other TBers they see as successful?

Just some thought provoking questions.

2. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I think i put victor Wooten to shame. At least in my head :bag:

I don't think I'm really all that good. I try to stay conserved and humble with my playing. There's nothing worse than that guy saying "I'm awesome". I try not to play with people like that. Let your playing speak for you not your mouth.

I guess it's good to feel some level of being good, it keeps you going and gives you that push to keep trying and to get better.

3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I can make my bass make the noises I want to hear. I don't know how else to qualify how good that makes me, but it makes me satisfied. There are others on here that are ridiculously better than me at getting their basses to make the sounds they want them to make. I admire their skill, but in the end, bass is for me to express myself, not outdo others.

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

When I was 20, I literally thought I was one of the best bass players ever. Now that I'm almost 40, I realize two things: one, I'm about 9 times the musician I was when I was 20. Two, I am definitely *not* a world-class talent. Growing up sucks, I guess. But musicians I play with say I make the band groove, and I get compliments when I play the local clubs. So I guess I don't suck. I just love music, and am honestly grateful to be able to take part, even in my own modest, average schmuck kind of way.

5. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    I'm better than people who aren't as good as me, but not as good as people who are better than me.

6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    If the music i'm playing or involved with is personally satisfying, thats good enough for me. All musicians would like praise from those who listen to our music, but if you're happy with the band and your own performance, thats what matters most.
    There's always someone "better" or "worse" than you. We all can get better.

7. Ninjabot

Ninjabot

May 22, 2012
    Johnson City TN
    I would consider myself to be an ok bassist/musician. I'm no where as good as I strive to be and I know I'll never get to the point where I don't think that I need to learn anything else. I get the job done for what ever I'm playing and the guys that I play with seem to be happy with my skill level and what I bring to the mix. There is always room for improvement and I look forward to my personal progression in the years to come.

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I am a very big deal!

I'm not a great bass player in my own opinion, but I get gigs and I get paid for them.

A strong back and a great sense of timing count for a lot in this business it would seem.

9. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yes, but by being a huge factor in someone else's success. Especially a band's success. I've always loved those support roles where I have to do lots of (figurative) heavy lifting.

Couldn't give a damn what other people think.

To others? No.

By how well "the other guy" does, whether it's a band, or an I.T. client, or someone I'm helping with technical problems in the BG/SR world.

I don't worry about it. I doubt few of them get it anyway.

No, I measure my personal success on an absolute scale, not a relative one. I don't grade my performance on a curve.

No relationship whatsoever. But the larger issue is, who cares about status.

I suppose so. I just hope they don't attempt exact emulations, because oftentimes what works for one player can turn out to be a long, bumpy, time-wasting rabbit trail that leads nowhere for another player.

Say, do I get a coupon or something for answering this survey? :smug:

10. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Apr 28, 2010
    O'Fallon, IL
    My username says it all. My timing is rock-solid, my ear is barely adequate (most of the time) and my basslines are generally simple. If I were being paid by the note, I'd switch to keyboards.

I play and sing for fun. That's a good thing, 'cause I'll never get rich doing it.

11. You think you're good? Take up playing double bass, that'll knock the wind out of your sails! :p I am a lead vocalist while playing double bass, does that make me good?

What is good? I've been getting paid for playing since 1963. Does that mean I'm good? I doubt it. Just means I'm good at bluffing.
    I get called to sub in bands with no rehearsal, does that mean I'm good? I doubt it. Just means I know a lot of songs and can hear changes on the fly, in a lot of differing styles.
    A couple of days ago I heard a young bassist busking. He was about 20 I guess. He was playing Jaco/Brand X/Weather Report on a fretless, playing harmonic chords, sliding double stops, all the tricks. I thought he was good. Very good. Can I do what he was doing? No. Can he do what I do? Maybe, maybe not. Do I have the desire to do what he was doing? No. Vice versa? Probably not, it would likely bore him to tears.
    Good is such a subjective term.

12. jimmydean

jimmydean

Mar 14, 2009
    I think I'm pretty good ,alot of people think I'm really good . But , I tend to think everyone is better than me.

13. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    bonified bass god here....:hyper:

14. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Not as good as I should be.

15. lebaron

lebaron

Sep 13, 2008
    ... as a bass/player musician?

Better musician than instrumentalist which I believe is better than the other way around.

Well, sort of, but for me that lies more in making killer records/songs.

To be honest more important than I want it to be. But then again "anyone" can be famous but it would be nice to be recognized for the songs I write etc.

Probably :) I like to fight the singer in my bands for the spotlight ;)

Success? Amount of girls (and/or guys) flashing while we play :hyper:

Do you think of TB as a place where you can compare yourself against others and measure your success?

Nah, success for me = how close you are to where you wanna be. So its not comparable since we all have different purpose with our playing.

16. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Been playing a long time. Think that I'm better now at some things than I ever was like reading and soloing, and not as good at things as I used to be (quick learner, but in my own defense, the type of music I'm playing is more difficult).

While taking a serious look at my skill set recently, I started working on improving my slap/pop, although I don't play in bands where it is essential. It seems that it represents a type of bass playing that I enjoy hearing, a percussive, aggressive approach to bass lines.

I play in a very crowded market (LA) with comparatively few venues for its size. Have a band of my own, and a few other regular wannabe singer/song writers that I work for, but every now and then I get a call to fill in with some 'name' players and every so often they compliment me on my amateur status with pro skills. Those moments are gratifying.

17. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I think I'm still improving, so however good I am I'm getting better. :)

I do care whether other people think I'm any good, and actually I've turned down gigs in the past because I thought I'd end up looking bad. I should've just played the gigs. I need to be a bit more brave really.

I measure my ability by the sounds I make really and nothing else. I've never chased technique or worked on party pieces. I'm just not interested in all that.

18. This may sound cocky. But, please don't take it that way. I am completely, and utterly confident in my playing, and also my professionalism (meaning stage presence, being on time, having quality, proper gear, versatility, etc...) as a musician. I'll go ahead and say it, and flame me all the hell you want: I'm VERY confident that if the majority of big-time bands were in need of a player, if they were to hear & see me play, they would scoop me up, based JUST on my playing abilities. Band chemistry is a whole 'nother ball of wax, but equally, IF NOT MORE important!! Just sayin'.....
    Look, to be any good, YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE IN YOURSELF,first & foremost. Or else you won't never, ever get anywhere. And, that's just the facts. Now, there's one key thing about feeling this way: While it's necessary to challenge yourself musically, never, ever get W-A-Y in over your head and make a fool of yourself. A reputation for being a bad player goes a l-o-n-g, l-o-n-g way in this business. Even if those rumors aren't true, other players tend to be very skeptical, until they hear it with their own ears. Building a solid reputation is a vast part of "payin' yer dues."

I'm sure most experienced players with a level head will agree with me wholeheartedly.

19. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i'm not very good, but in all honesty when i 'm in a band i work so hard that it generally makes up for what i may be lacking in natural talent or refined technique, i love to play and learn new stuff

20. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008

Yes.

Relatively.

Yes.

By how good I think I sound and how it translates to the listener.

How do you think others measure your success in their minds?

Don't know. Don't care.

No.

Do you think your own sense of status on TB translates to status in the real world?

(now you're really getting fantastical) No.

Do you think people on TB look up to other TBers they see as successful?

Yes.