how hard

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by baba90, Jan 18, 2005.

1. baba90

Jan 17, 2005
    can someone tell me how long it took them to learn how to play bass. how easy or hard is it, and how many notes, and cords are there
  2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    wrong forum so this would be moved, you never lear to play bass completly theres always something you dont know, a technique you dont master a groove you cant make etc etc....
    If you want to get it "right" and soon you better practice a lot because thats all you need.
  3. It depends on what you want to play.

I was able to play Walking on the Moon and Message in a Bottle by The Police within half an hour of picking bass up (and reading through a book I bought to get some of the basics right).

There are some things now however, 8 months on that I have to practise constantly and work hard at to get right.
  4. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I remember it took me quite a while to make my playing sound good and to resemble someone playing a bass instead of someone doodling around on a large guitar. My playing may have sounded okay when I was playing alone, but it simply didn't cut through in the school band with loads of keyboards and guitars I was in at that time. I had to adjust my techinque until my playing finally had some low end to it.
  5. 00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    you can learn it in about 3 days. i mean c'mon, its only got 4 strings ;)
  6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Sorry. I saw the title and I thought it was about something else. :oops:
  7. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I've been at it for 12 years and I still don't know what I'm doing! :D

Actually, a beginner book and CD will get you up and running in a few hours. After that, there's a lifetime of learning.

How easy or hard is it? As stated above, It depends on what you want to play. My most satisfying moments on the bass have come from accomplishing something that wasn't easy.

Have fun,
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, I had somebody show me where C, F and G were on the bass and played in church that same night. But I am sure that most people don't pick it up that quick. I was twelve and blessed with a real good ear for music.
  9. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
  10. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    1. Music is a journey, not a destination. This question is impossible to ask.

2. As easy or hard as you make it.

3. 12

4. Hundreds.
  11. Never worry about how hard an instrument is. Whatever it is, if it's playable at all, you can play it. Don't pick your instruments according to how easy they are. If you're looking for ease of operation, then stick with the kazoo. Pick the instrument you most want to play, then learn to play it. Worrying about whether you can do it won't get you anywhere.
  12. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Or look at it this way - anything in life worth doing is difficult.
  13. Steve

Aug 10, 2001

Cro-magnon's had to go through that whole chart just to skin something????

No wonder they're extinct.
  14. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    you forgot the other half... :spit:
  15. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    That picture above is pretty freaking funny. Just read some of what it says.

"Re-coat all the pinatas with marmalade until most of the ox drivers have discovered the tube of anti-matter won't fit into some Barbie dolls."

"Everyone rotate one chair"

"Sleep for two bars"

"With much passionfruit"

"Sand bow to taste"

"Leap over cellist"

"More faster"

"Apply brown liquid now"

"Change to your Sears violin"

"OK, who ate the resin?"
  16. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    "Players may not fly above the audience during performance."
    "If arm falls off, reattach and play much slower."
  17. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Play the instrument you're most attracted to. Don't choose bass because it's considered easier (it ain't) or your friend's band needs a bass player unless you really want to play bass.