1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how has your taste in basses changed?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcake, May 28, 2020.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    when i first started playing bass in 1994 and for years after, i played black PJ basses with rosewood fingerboards. then i changed... i started thinking a little variety couldn't hurt. i got a minty green (ibanez called it lime) mikro. i enjoyed it. the world didn't end.

now i have a red bronco (maple neck, fingerboard is part of the neck), a surf green mustang, a wood finish GSR100EX, a roadster orange mezzo (i always like that orange, but it didn't used to fit in with my dark color scheme). i also owned a sunburst traveler TB-4P that i sold.... apparently along with all my black basses. my semi-hollow ibanez SRH500 doesn't even come in black.

when i went to order my smallguitars.com bass, i went with daphne blue, and it was then that i realized both of my black basses, only bought to mod, aren't even with the basses i currently play. * gasp *

and the only bass i'm pondering now is a short scale EBMM stingray. not a PJ, not black.

i also moved from long scale to short scale, but that wasn't so much taste as injury. on the other hand, i love my short scales - i just hadn't given any a chance before that. sort of a machismo thing - can women have machismo?

so what - if anything - has changed when it comes to your bass taste / preferences?

2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi pcake :)

One string more and a bunch of frets less :D

greetings

Wise

3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    After my initial "anything but Fender" start, I determined a Fender was the best option after all, as long as it was a slab. There were many other basses/ brands that came & went over the years, including a short but determined [7] ASAT bass collection, but the slabs always remained and have been consistent part of my musical DNA.
    dP_1024.jpg
    thumb_thumb_P1280502_1024 copy_1024.jpg

4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    years ago, i, too, felt that anything but fender was the way to go. turned out that when i gave them a chance, i love fenders and squiers.

gozbass, GeoffB, jamro217 and 12 others like this.
  5. Well I started off with a P bass and 20 years later after going round the various makes and spending far too much money, I`m back to playing a........P bass!

There`s a lesson in there somewhere :bassist:

6. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    The first time the rest of the band turns to you and says "what the hell was that?" A lightbulb went off and I thought that's why people prefer Fender.:D

jamro217, SJan3 and dkelley like this.
  7. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    I started off with two acoustics - one a beautiful fretless I knew I would regret selling but I needed a pickup and frets and so traded it on an average fretted Cort Acoustic. I had a Yamaha BB next which didn't suit my hands but was black, a Fender Jazz that weighed 6.5 kg and was doing my back in - but was black. Now I have a natural finish Ibanez Soundgear which is easily the most comfortable bass I am yet to play - but is not black! I think I prefer painted basses but that consideration comes well after ergonomics and tones (which I like to sound ballpark Fender).

jamro217, alaskaleftybass and pcake like this.
  8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm way more interested in the building block sounds -- fretted and fretless Jazz, P with flats -- than I used to be.

jamro217, SJan3, dkelley and 3 others like this.
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

mostly old-age stuff: lighter weights, shorter reaches*, re-thinking of strap/ax 'hang'.

* still playing 34" scale, but i've used strap button extenders on a few, repositioned a bridge and changed out necks on another: all to bring that first position a little closer to a bum shoulder.

Rafar, jamro217, jdh3000 and 11 others like this.
  10. I started on Fenders, now I can't stand them.
    It all happened when I bought a Rickenbacker & was playing that while my Fender was about to get re-wired.

When I finally put the Fender back together, it sounded SO dull in comparison.
    So I sold it soon after!
    Haven't owned a Fender instrument since.

B-Mac, Outtaseezun, jamro217 and 7 others like this.
  11. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I used to be anything but Fender and now those are my primary players and I lost a string along the way. While I love a good 5-string I just don’t play them anymore.

jamro217, murphy, SJan3 and 2 others like this.
  12. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Went from only passive to active (five models), and now I am back to passives. Went from P to J and now PJ.

I am looking for a great sound with simplicity. I have found it.

13. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    For design, Leo set the gold standard(s) IMO. Bury me with my Fender P! I still admire the EBMM Bongo, though, and think Rics are rad to look at. Sereks too. No pointies or curlicues, TYVM.

Passive all the way; the Bongo I owned was too much bass for me. Confirmation that I've always liked simple best.

I've definitely become a short-scale partisan, to the extent that any future bass purchases will likely be shorties (unless someday I find my original Guild B301A). Comfort, weight, fun.

That said, my experience with my Epi Allen Woody (coming soon to TB classifieds) taught me that ergonomics really, really matter to me. I need that contour in the back.

Finally, I'm less enamored of hot-rod colors than I once was (and I really was). I still want all four designer colors of the Squier MusicMaster Vista (3 to go! how bougie can you get?), but mainly b/c matching headstock. My next buy (when things get better) will be either the Sire U5 or a Fender P/J Mustang, either in some variant of "natural." Or if I somehow someday really hit it big, a Mustang with stripes, matching headstock, and lollypops.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  14. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I went through a 10 or 15-year phase where I only wanted instruments that looked unique, were made with coffee table woods, and were different than anybody else's.

My taste has simplified. I'm happy to pay for utility and playability, but my interest in the visually exotic is mostly gone. High quality Fender-shaped instruments are fine.

With due respect to my friends and associates here who build wonderful fantastic high-end instruments. But even the basses I've ordered from them are generally simpler than their normal builds.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The more I try different basses, the more I realize what I bought 35 years ago (and still have) feels and sounds best - passive, precision neck, and round wound hex core strings.

16. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

From 1967 through roughly 2012 no changes. 2012-2015 was a transitional phase.at almost 66 years old I'm pretty well set.
    Of course as much of my life I love wanting a P Bass more than I love owning one.

17. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    When I started playing my first bass was a Mexican burgundy red fender Pbass. I was convinced that I needed something more boutique looking with a lot more knobs and bells and whistles.

I’ve come full circle back to the Fender Family . They just look , feel, and sound right to my eyes and ears.

I also fell in love with TI flats and passive tones. I only want rounds and active on my Elite Jazz V.

jamro217, HD007, FishDub and 2 others like this.
  18. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    I don't like the bongo anymore. That's about it ;P

jamro217, murphy, JRA and 2 others like this.
  19. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Townsville
    It really hasn't. I still love the same things I did years ago. However, one thing that happened was that I started to appreciate more things. I remember walking through a Mars Music store in the late 90's and looking at all the fancy German-made Warwicks handing there. I'd never even heard of them, and when I looked at the price tags, I laughed. Who in their right mind would own one of these things, I wondered? Fast forward about 12 years, and the answer is me. I finally played one, once I'd matured enough as a player and shed some bad technique, and was able to appreciate the quality. Early on, I was not a good enough player nor experienced enough to be able to feel or hear why something was considered to be better than something else. I say considered because it's always going to be subjective.

jamro217, comatosedragon and pcake like this.
  20. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I have come around to adding PJs back in stable after not really into them for 20 years.