1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how i almost threw away 2000$ yesterday :O

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ROGI, Mar 3, 2016.

1. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    I've been eyeing focusrite carlet 4Pre since it was announced. It's just perfect combo for my band, 8 ins, ultra low latency, thunderbolt. yeah, TB, but thing is i don't have mac. my band uses berhinger xr18 into pc (reaper) for amp sims and fx and mixing and then we send signal into our IEMs and PA. we don't use drums, just drum sim (addictive drums 2). Now while xr18 is out of this world bang for the buck, it's a bit bulky. one would say we're getting spoiled cos we cut our gear form bunch of amps and drums to just one 12u rack and laptop. now as good as it is, carrying only one laptop, pocket sized interface (4pre) and pocket sized 4 out IEM amp, is much much better. I've put it all on the table and did some number crunching. i could sell my PC, xr18, rack, everything, get a goood laptop with usb 3.1 type C that in in fact thunderbolt 3 (it took me whole morning to figure that out) and get carlet 4pre. Laptop was the biggest issue, since we run everthiny on windows there are only select few ROG gamimg laptops that go for 1300$ with USB 3.1 type C. 700$ for 4pre and we are set. now i called shops, found gear, even got a decent deals and found buyers for my PC (heavily customized i5 3570K, 16gb ram, 128ssd, gtx970 g1 oc, 1tb hdd, custom noctua coolers etc etc) and for behringer xr18 and rack and some other stuff we won't be needing anymore. it's just insane how everything fell toghether. So it was 2:00 pm and i was getting ready to go shopping, and just in case i started looking around focusrite's webpage and checking roundtrip latency for 4pre and i find out that for now 2/4/8/8xPre are not supported on windows :O SAY WHAT? what's the point of thunderbolt 3 trought usb 3.1 type-c then??? something about intel's requirements that all hardware authorised by them or something like that. so i almost sold our setup, bought another one that we could not have used for some time until support for windows comes along. :mad:

now you ask me why just not buy mac? you see, i get i7 6700, 128gb ssd + 1tb hdd, 16gb beast of the laptop for the half of price of mac. that's the issue. macs are even more expensive in europe than in USA. and they aren't big on details. 2015 macbook pro just says it's i7. that makes things hard to compare.

so that's my 2 cents. we are staying with this configuration for now, until intel moves their a** and implements it's hardware support the way it's supposed to work. plug and play. geesh.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The XR18 is a full 18x18 USB interface.
    Why not give it a try as a regular interface, use it like you propose for the Scarlet, and see if regular USB actually can work for you?

The super low latency, super speed interfaces are a lot of specmanship. Most people doesn't need it.

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I agree on all counts. The 4Pre only allows for four inputs without adding additional through ADAT. If all you need is four at a time, virtually any USB device hooked up to a reasonably powerful computer will work just fine provided you're not already maxing out the session with plugins, live synths/VSTs, etc.