1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How I make my renderings...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JC Basses, Apr 2, 2009.

1. JC Basses

JC Basses

Mar 12, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    Lately I have been getting quite a few emails regarding my bass guitar renderings and how I make them. Instead of trying to explain it to each person individually, I thought I would share it with everyone. I am by no means a "pro" at Photoshop, this is just my way of doing it.

Part 1

Let me know if you have any questions either here or on YouTube. Thanks.

GMC and Phil Mailloux like this.
  2. Alduroth

Alduroth

Mar 3, 2009
    Great, It seems so easy to make awesome stuff, nice tutorial :D
    but how did you make the bass drawing so neat? I'm a very sketchy person.
    btw, you can make a grid in CS4 so you dont have to eye it down whats the middle :p

3. JC Basses

JC Basses

Mar 12, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    I didn't include that in the video because that is the time consuming part. I usually just draw the bass on a piece of paper and scan it in. I then use the magic wand and eraser to get the bass by itself. It just takes time and patience.

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    awesome, really awesome!

Where do you get all the cool layers, walnut, tuners and such?

5. JC Basses

JC Basses

Mar 12, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    I have most of the pictures of the wood from my own wood. For the tuners I just took a picture of a tuner and did the same process as the bass to get something that looks "real".

6. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Ah, sweet! They look fantastic.

7. JC, Thank you for sharing you're talent. Following you're procedures!, I have tried so many times and got so frustrated and gave up. Every Application is great if you are experienced with it. The Cad programs I run function so much differently.
    Also a tutorial that is geared toward what you want to use it for makes it even more easily to follow and apply it to your use.

Thanks, Dino

8. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    Very useful, thank you.

Sticky!

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i agree on both counts.

10. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    For those that don't know, they can be viewed in fullscreen by clicking the second icon from the right on the bottom of the viewing screen.

Good job!

11. JC Basses

JC Basses

Mar 12, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    That is true, but makes everything blurry.

12. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Add "&fmt=18" to the end of the links, will bring them up in high quality without blur.

13. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Are the originals in wmv format and smaller than 100mb each? If you're interested, I can tell you where you can host them and help you embed them in this post. That way people can download them or watch them in a separate window at whatever size they want.

14. JC Basses

JC Basses

Mar 12, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    The original is .mov and is 55mb roughly. I would host it on my site, but I think I might be over the max bandwidth if too many people download it.

15. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    I'm not sure on what kind of bandwidth the site I use has, so streaming / embedding them might not be a good idea. But if you wanted people to be able to download the original for higher quality and bigger screen size, may I recommend uploading them to http://www.mediafire.com/?

Free to join, I never get spam mail from them and they have really fast download speeds.

16. JC Basses

JC Basses

Mar 12, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    Thanks, I updated the original post with the link to download the file.

17. bronzehydra

bronzehydra

Oct 14, 2008
    Mukilteo, WA
    Thanks so much for posting this!

18. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    Jared... really nice tutorial!!

19. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    I've been playing around with this lately and it's really interesting, what did you use to draw the pictures that you start out with?

20. JC Basses

JC Basses

Mar 12, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    I usually draw it on a piece of paper. I find it way easier to draw by hand. Scan it in and start to delete all the unneeded areas.