Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How long does it take?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    After performing at NAMM this year, a fairly new company offered to make me a custom bass along with a very reasonable endorsement deal. I gave them all the details for what would be my dream bass, they said it all looked good, and they've begun the process. I'm incredibly excited to say the least - possibly a bit overanxios. I have no clue how long this will take, their emails are short and to the point (I think they become incredibly busy since NAMM) and in the last email I asked if it would be possible to have the bass by May. The response was, "The bass is in process. will advise when out of woodwork". 2 questions:

1. how long does it generally take if you're starting completely from scratch to carve out a body and neck and do all the routing on a bass that's a completely new invention? they're giving me one of their guitar models with a pickup config that I know they've never used before - plus they've only put out 4 string basses, they're making me a five.

2. when would you think would be a good time to email them again for a progress report if I don't hear from them soon? i don't want to bug them.

I realize that a lot depends on how well staffed they are, how much other work they have that has priority, and 106 other variables, but lets just make believe for now that they have nothing else to do but build my bass, and I could guage it from there.

Thanks.

2. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    May is a good estimate. Usually takes me 3-4 months to get one completed. Who knows, they may get it out sooner. Best to just bang the Bongo and wait. Good Fogerty's Show, BTW

3. Would you care to perhaps, do a bit of name dropping and clue us in to who is building you bass???

-ryan-

4. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Sure. Here's what my bass is gonna look like - 5 string with Bartolini MM/J pickups and electronics...

http://www.minarikguitars.com/products.guitars.php?guitarId=5&guitarcolorId=4

Can still use my Bongo too as the deal ain't exclusive. EB has been incredibly good to me and I've no plans of ditching the Bongo. :) This new bass is gonna be awesome though and I have ideas to put them both to very good use.

5. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    *whistles* ...You're a lucky man. If I were you, it'd be well worth the wait.

-Josh

6. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Hey - nice to have met you also, if you're the guy I remember you to be :) . Up front, we talked a little? Didn't know ya built basses.