Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Many Bands?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jazz Lover, Jun 7, 2005.

1. I am in between bands at the moment and was thinking back to the days (before I had a family) when I juggled three bands at once. So what is the maximum number of bands everyone has been in at one time, and how many is too many?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have been in three gigging bands at once, along with juggling playing three times a week at church.

Currently it is just one band that gigs about twice a month, plus the three times a week at church thing.

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    If high school music department bands count-i did a lot. First semester was generally my busiest time of year i did: Wind Band [concert band], Jazz Band, Marching Band, Show Band [pep band], First Edition band [show choir], and was in an outside of school jazz combo. So that would be: 6 all going on at once in addition to at the time-school, work, and private lessons. However, show band and First Edition band did not start up until after marching band was over.

2nd semester: First Edition Band, Wind Ensemble [#1 concert band], Jazz Band, X-Cap Band [#2 & #3 show choir band], a praise band, and every so often an outside of school combo or rock band.

If school related bands don't count-i did a jazz combo,a praise band, and a rock band.

Now? I've got squat since i'm in the summer between high school and college. I'm playing with the Purdue University Summer Jazz Band, a praise band, am in the process of starting a combo, and besides that-it's all solo stuff-in other words me practicing outside on rare occasion.

I'm excited about college [jazz major] since there's a lot of playing and practicing involved. :bassist: :hyper:

That's all

4. i'm in two bands, both of which are still in the early stages (mostly because one of them is a side project type thing, and my main band is 2 months old).

5. Also, does anyone have any funny stories about problems that may have occured while juggling bands?

6. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    The most bands I have ever been in had to be 4. And I quit a bunch of them... And said I would never do that again.. I am currently in 3 :-(

woops..... :rollno:

7. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

bands at once. I did have an available sub,that was occasionaly needed. Odd as it was, one of the bands I was a three month sub.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

8. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    depends on how busy my main band is. my main band is full time, practice two times a week(once for writing, once for going over our set list) and we usually play 1-3 times a week.

i also jam with one of my friends every other week. its more of a hired gun type of thing, which thankfully i think it is now over(since they merged with another band who had all the right pieces).

i'm also beging to write music for two seperate side projects. one is going to be an alkaline trio style band. where we are a three piece where i play either bass or guitar(prolly guitar) and sing.

i'm also starting a hc band in which i sing.

9. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I only play in one, and I'll be content with being in one band at a time as long as we're playing shows and having fun.

10. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    three. Everyone around here started calling me "band slut". I had to correct them by saying, "No. Whore. ". Was a time back when when I was juggling three and a day job. Plus takin' care of the wife. :sings: those were the days...... .My solution was no sleep

11. i have a story that may end up funny, involving me creating a conflict of interest with my female drummer that the other two in the band don't know about...