How Many Basses Do You Take To A Gig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mrjim123, Oct 12, 2018.

1. 1

117 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. 2

149 vote(s)
    55.4%
  3. 3

12 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. More than 3

3 vote(s)
    1.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    The Gene Deer Band
    I did a quick search and didn't find this question.

Multiple votes are allowed.

For me personally, my rule is go light or stay home, so I only take 1.

David Jayne and seventhson like this.
  2. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    I seldom will play both on a gig and one may never make it out of the case if stage area is limited, but it's nice to have the backup bass along with my backup amp.

3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Two, since most songs are played 1/2 step down. Allows for a built-in backup as well.

4. mrjim123

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    The Gene Deer Band
    I DO take a backup for nearly everything else - amp, cables, batteries, strings, etc. The only things I don't take backups for are the bass and cabs (I usually play through 2 cabs anyways).

pellomoco14 likes this.
  5. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Especially if I am being paid to play... I am bringing at least two. Gotta have a backup, I don't wanna be "that guy".

6. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I'll take a backup and leave it in its case. Sometimes only one when I feel like living on the edge. :)

7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    There are literally hundreds of threads about backup basses on gigs, as well as doubling on fretted/fretless or upright/electric.

If you bring a backup bass you can eliminate a lot of other things, strings, batteries, tools, etc. You'll never need to fix your main bass if you can just switch to the other one.

8. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Amen, and it's like you have the time, a place to work on the bass, and enough light to do the work.
    I was on a pickup gig with a guitar player that had a problem with his guitar. One of the switches had fallen inside the guitar and he had no backup. He fixed it during a break(somewhat extended) with tools he carries and 3 of us holding flashlights for him at a table in the club. But then he is the repair tech for a GC location. You would think he would know better.

hrodbert696, Rebel Rocker and lz4005 like this.
  9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    That's what I've always wondered about the people who say they bring soldering irons, tool chests, sets of strings, etc. When on a gig do you have time to do the repairs? Or even change strings? If something breaks in the middle of a set I need a 10 second fix, not a 15 minute one.

10. mrjim123

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    The Gene Deer Band
    Ten or twenty years ago had I owned more than one bass I probably would have done just that, but, at 67 years of age and with a bad back and knees, my rule is, as I said, "go light or stay home". :D:crying:

saabfender and StyleOverShow like this.
  11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Two. Rule of redundancy: two is one and one is none.

Riis

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I keep a POS purple 32" SX in my trunk always. Been there through the freezing cold winder, and 100 degree summer. Hope its OK if I ever need it :).

Oh yeah... and I take my real bass with me.

Two.

13. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Two. I broke an A string early in the set like 25 years ago and will never let myself have to deal with that again. Spare = 7-lb Danelectro plywood body beast.

14. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    These sentences don't belong together. :D

No excuse for a guitarist not to have a backup guitar ready. I bring an extra bass, I've never broken a string and never needed my backup. I'm sure if I ever get lazy and don't bring it, that's the day I'll need one.

fhm555, oldrocker, JRA and 7 others like this.
  15. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    I just make sure our band is ready to play some Black Keys songs if my bass craps out on me.

But really, you should bring two.

Real Soon and kobass like this.
  16. One lately, but everytime I read a thread like this I reconsider. But my backup is now tuned BEAD, so it won't help much in our set list. And my fretless needs minor adjustment and major practice .
    Guess you guilted me into it.

17. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    My experience and thoughts, exactly.

pellomoco14 and lfmn16 like this.
  18. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Usually just one. But if I have doubts about the one I want to use, a 2nd

19. Yep, you need to buy another bass. Not like we need excuses, but sometimes it's easier to justify it.

LowActionHero likes this.
  20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    One, unless the gig requires both a BG and a DB. Then, one of each.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021