1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How much for an 88´Tobias 6-string bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaracasBass, Oct 23, 2006.

1. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Some guy here in Caracas is selling his Tobias. It´s a 6-string bass and he said that he order it in 1988, and waited like 6 months until he got the bass.

What should be the price for that original Tobias??

Thanx.

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Anyone??

3. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Inactive

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    $2,000 and up? Is it a basic, classic or signature? The serial number should be below 2000 somewhere. I've seen a nice bubinga 5 string Basic from before the move to Nashville go for $1800. If it's a fancy Signature model in great shape maybe $4,000? Sometimes Tobias' can have some crazy asking prices.

Got any pictures? :)

4. Basboeg

Basboeg Guest

Sep 30, 2006
    Hard to know without pictures. If it's mint: $4,000. If it's a 1 in quality: A couple of hundred? Any dings and blemishes reduces the price a bit.

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    This is the only pic the guy has of the bass :meh: , it doesn´t show too much about the condition of it but at least you´ll have an idea.

Attached Files:

6. The Penguin

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    That looks like the mid line model the Classic, Bubinga top, wenge under that and probably an alder back. It looks clean from what I can see.

How much is the owner asking?

7. MrLenny

MrLenny

Jun 10, 2006
    So. N.H.
    Looks like a Classic B/W/A Under the trussrod cover.
    Stands for bubinga/wenge/alder.
    I have that bass but a 5 string.
    Serial numbers under 2044 are worth more, up to $1000 more.
    Mine is Gibson made,1997, and paid $2400 used.
    Nice bass, super slim neck, tons of tone.

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

He´s asking Bs.7500000, that´s $3500USD.

9. The Penguin

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    That might be a bit high but still within the range of what some will pay for it. I love those basses so I'd say buy it :bassist: But try to talk him down first. While Tobias' can have high asking prices they seem to sell rather slowly.

10. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    There's a big difference between that bass and MrLenny's though, the fact that its pre-Gibson is why he's asking more.

11. Basboeg

Basboeg Guest

Sep 30, 2006
    That's a lot of money, even though it is a pre-Gibson. Take in mind that it IS used after all...

I bought my Classic for around $2300 and it had a couple of blemishes (2 really nasty) but it plays like a charm. Still wonder if I was ripped off, even though I'm happy with it.