1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How Much Will You Hate Me...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steph Dawe, Apr 23, 2006.

1. ... when I throw my basses out onto incoming traffic?

No, seriously. I'm gonna pack it all in as soon as I change bachelors*.

Can I still hang out here if I'm not playing?

*Degrees, not guys.

2. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    But... But... Why? :crying:

3. Being awesome isn't for everybody.....I can accept that.:)

Mike

4. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Instead of packing it in, why not send that Fender IV fretless to me? :)

AuG

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    You suck. :)

6. Dibs on your amps!

7. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I'm guessing you're changing majors. I'm a freshman EE student and I went this way instead of music for the following two reasons amongst others, but these pretain here:
    1. I love playing music, but I hate being forced to learn stuff, so something I normally would have like if I had taught myself becomes an annoyance because I have to do it.
    2. If I get a degree in EE I can probably save up enough money to go back and get a music degree, if I get a music degree I probably won't have money.

I find myself practicing a lot more now, since it keeps me from my other studies. Basically you can procastinate and get better at bass, instead of just wasting time on internet forums. Let's put it this way, if you have to do work for a class, you probably won't like it. But if it's fun to do, and you can go at your own rate, why not. Don't stop with bass because you stopped being forced to play, start playing because you don't have to.

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    wha?

i don't know your situation, but i imagine that you can still play even if you're not majoring in music. :confused:

9. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Holy crap! it sounds like my situation EXACTLY!!! its more fun when you play as enjoyment/stress relief. i'm studying privately with a teacher, but thats because i CHOSE to do so, and i use music as an outlet to engineering's frustrations(there are many).

to be honest, i don't see why someone would major in music unless they wanted to teach. everything required for playing and gigging can be learnt with a private teacher, at your own pace, and this allows you to study another career with a more stable income.

10. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    So... why are we killing innocent drivers with our basses? Isnt the bass community striving for acceptance.. not... massacre?

11. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    No. We should slay humanity for their continuous aversion to giving us camera time when we play on television.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I didn't realize you played bass.

13. I always concentrated on her other attributes...;)

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    feel free to send some gear to me

:)

15. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I don't believe you. You may think you're quitting bass, but trust me, even if it takes a few years, you'll be back in a music store eyeing something with less than 6 strings, admiring its pups and flashy pickguard, and kicking yourself for chucking your rig into throngs of uncaring motorists. You'll be back. They always come back.

16. I went through something similar.

Why major in music? Because it's the absolute only thing you could ever imagine loving doing, I guess. I majored in music performance (tuba) for 2.5 years. Then I was completely, 100% burnt out on music. I changed majors (to Communications, only slightly more likely to secure a job).

It took a few months of not playing AT ALL and hardly listening to music. Then I started listening to completely different music. And I fell in love with music in a different, and I think better, way. I bought an acoustic guitar. Then I bought my bass.

Music is still the only thing I can imagine doing for a career. (It's not what I do currently, and may never be, but it's still my "dream job").

So my point is - take a break. But don't think that because you're not a music major you can't love music as much, if not more than, you did before.

17. Bold.

:(

18. I'm having trouble figuring out what a degree has to do with playing bass. Have I been playing illegally all these years?

I dont think you would be the only one who never post outside the off topic forum. ;)

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You're gunna go to a distaff jail if you did that. I hope you like sapphic sex.

20. In response to the original question:

<----------------------------------------------------------------This much----------------------------------------------->​