1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How often do you...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gibsonpenguin, Mar 24, 2009.

1. gibsonpenguin

gibsonpenguin

Feb 15, 2009
    How often to you change the batteries for
    active pickups? I have an Ibanez SR300 and it uses active pickups. It sounds good, but i dont want the batteries to die in the middle of a gig or anything...
    :help:

2. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Always keep a spare 9V in your case, and you'll be fine.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Depends. It REALLY helps to have a passive switch on the bass (ala the Duncan preamps).

4. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    I don't play much anymore (just church twice a week), but whenever I change strings, I replace the battery (2-3 times yearly). I then use the old one for my in-ear receiver til it dies. ALWAYS have a sleeve of 9V in my toolbox!

5. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    June and December, before all the Christmas gigs begin.

6. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    I don't use active anymore, but when I did, there was a gradual volume drop over time as the battery got older before it completely went ... I changed mine maybe three times a year, using the bass in question maybe 8-10 hours a week.

Just always unplug the bass when you're not using it ... if the jack is plugged in, the bass is "on" even if the amp is off (turn the amp off first before unplugging).

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just so you know, your bass has passive pickups. It's the on-board electronics that are active.

8. you need to learn the feeling of a full battery against your tongue. from there you can gauge how full it is.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Nice :D

10. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    1.2 volts is the general failure rate for 1.5v batteries.

11. Best way ^

I have two Ibanez SR's that I change the battery three times a year playing 3 to 5 hours a night - every night. They don't just abruptly stop - they fade.

12. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Once a year. That's been my habit since I got my first StingRay around 1979. Only once did an active instrument fail on me on stage, and that was the one time I used a Neveready Energizer instead of a Duracell. I've currently got five active basses, and I've owned three others. StingRays (pre EB), Guild Pilots w/EMG, Duncan/Bailey pre-amp, three Laklands, and a DeArmond Ashbory.

Just change them on a day you'll remember. I use the day we jump ahead with Daylight Savings Time in the spring.

jte

13. I've had some that last several years. I check about twice a year when I deal with the weather change. As long as you leave the basses unplugged, they should last a long time.

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Every 6 months when the time changes. Easy to remember that way.

15. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    If you happen to have one of those oh-so-handy little multimeters around, you can check the voltage of your battery now and then. If the battery gets weak to the point that your signal starts to audibly fizzle, you can check the voltage there so that you know how low your battery can run before needing a swap.

That's just a nice way to get good use out of your batteries and avoid pitching ones that are still useful. Our pals are right on though, in terms of always keeping at least one or two fresh spares handy for the gigs.

16. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    2-3X a year, when I change strings or do seasonal set up adjustments. I also check/change the smoke detector batteries then since I'm thinking batteries.

17. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I don't know of any active instruments that use 1.5V batteries.

18. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Every 6-months in both of my active basses.

19. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    You can make a little probe to measure the voltage while the battery is still in the bass. Use a T/T/S 1/4" plug, and solder a wire to the ring and one to the sleeve. Plug in, and put your VOM on the two wires.

jte

20. grr2

grr2

Jan 30, 2009
    I have an SR305 and I kinda waited too long and the battery went dead, and I hadn't changed it for a little over a year so I'm going to try to change mine out about once every 6 months now.