How often to gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Czar, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    How often should an orginal band gig? Without becoming overkill to the fans?
  2. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Well, I think that's quite an oxymoron. There really shouldn't be too much of your for your fans ;) Also, not every gig will be filled with your fans. So new fans are always a good thing. If you're more then a casual band, I would say having atleast a gig a weekend. It would be better to have 2 gigs a weekend if your area has enough places to support it. I personally don't like to play the same place more then once a month unless it's a two night gig (this is strictly speaking on a weekend gig schedule). If you start getting weekday dates, you're going to find you'll be spending a lot of places at one or two places.

It all comes down to how much time you have and how dedicated you are to a cause. I think almost everyone can agree that you really can't gig too much unless it's taking a personal and physical toll on the band. I mean, if a club wants to bring you in often, let them. Unless they're screwing you, then that's a different story involving a gimp.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Here in Boston many original bands get "residencies" where they play the same night of the week every week, sometimes for a month sometimes indefinitely! I did one once that lasted 7 years.

The downside of residencies is it's hard to get other gigs nearby and still be able to draw well.
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    IMHO as often as they can.
  5. snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    I think that it depends on the size of the city you're playing in. Sure, with a larger place like Boston or Toronto you do want to play as often as you can, because there will always be new fans to gather. However, where I live is significantly smaller and despite the live scene being a vibrant one, playing once every couple months is about the most you can do without overdoing it.
  6. VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Here in London nobody goes to see a band without a good reason (I'm talking mostly about original bands on the indie-rock circuit). So you have to build your own following, which of course means just managing the band members' lists of friend and hoping that if they like one gig they'll bring somebody else to the next one. So if you gig too often they'll get fed up, you'll play to an empty room and you've blown a promoter relationship. We've got three gigs in the next five weeks (two of them a month apart in the same part of town) and it's looking like a problem...
  7. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Yea, but this guy is from New Jersey. They play skeeball. They don't care if you gig a lot.
  8. VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    I like skeeball. I've never heard of it. Therefore I like it a lot. But then again I have lots of experience of New Jersey cab drivers. So now I'm not so sure.....I was happy before and now I'm all confused :hyper:
  9. Yah, I'd say as often as you can without it affecting the size of the draw... for most bands around here, that means no more than 1 show a month, or even 1 show for 3 months. If you're not playing in the same area all the time, then I'd say as often as possible.
  10. Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I wish we could incorporate skee ball and playing at the same time!

You think a show every two weeks is too much?
  11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I say no more that once a month in a small town.
  12. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Play until your hands stop working.
  13. Skeeball? Whoa! Now THAT takes me back...

Oh, yeah, the topic. Playing too much (in LA) for an original band with a small to moderate following can be the kiss of death. You'll burnout your list of friends etc. unless you've got something fresh; new songs, reworked covers. Nobody wants to hear the same set over and over again. Once or twice a month at geographically distinct venues. Try to get on a bill with another band out of your area to maybe pickup some fans.