How to clean gummy haze from Nitro finish

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nickweissmusic, May 11, 2017.

1. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    Here's a video I shot in response to a question I've seen a lot, without many clear or accurate answers about how to deal with it. I'm by no means a finishing expert, so any other hints are welcome. This is a total of under $30 worth of supplies for a multi-year supply (not counting old t-shirt), so economy is a factor too. Do you have a system that works as easily for less?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You're on the right track with the naptha. I like the 3M Finesse-it II better than the Meguiar products.

Riis

Pilgrim likes this.
  3. Warhawk

Warhawk Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2003
    South of Heaven, Ohio
    Nitrocellulose lacquer was used on cars before acrylics so I'd look into what antique car collectors use to clean original finishes.

If naphtha is the proper cleaner you can get a quart at a home center store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) for a lot less per ounce than what lighter fluid costs.

I've used the Meguiar products and like them. I've not used the product Zooberwerx mentioned but everything I've used from 3M has been excellent.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Agree on the 3M finesse-it II, and here's a reminder that if you're going to go swabbing that instrument down with naphtha, go outside and do it where there is plenty of ventilation.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022