1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how to fix a floppy E string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thehangingmist, May 6, 2010.

1. i have a fender geddy lee bass and i find the E a tad too floppy. i get a lot of fretbuzz on it when i play even a little bit harder and it really gets terribly bad when i tune it to dropD.
    i have just raised the action a bit to get rid of the floppiness and put on a 105 string but its still pretty bad. i dont have any 110s and cant find them here at the shops and all. so is there any other way i can help it even a bit?

2. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Move the bridge back an inch.

Who cares about intonation?

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D

Try a stiffer hex core string, like a DR Lo Rider.

4. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    That could be due to your setup... It might also be that your chosen string has less tension than you would like.

Does the string buzz all the way up the neck, or just in certain places? If so, where?

Also, sight down the neck from the bridge and from the headstock, is the neck warped? bowed?

5. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    Thicker strings

6. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    If you're happy with your string gauge, you might be able to buy a 4 string set in that gauge, and then buy a thicker B by itself...
    Just a thought.

7. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    1) Heavier Gauge String
    2) Raise the saddle - higher action
    3) You can try adding a few ferrules (spacers) to the end of the string to make it longer, that may stiffen the string a bit. (between the end of the bridge and the ball end)

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That won't add any tension. If anything, the string may feel looser as there would be more string to potentially pull when plucking.

9. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Hm. This is interesting. Anyone else want to weigh in on this option?

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    He's right, a strings tuning is decided by its tension between the nut and the saddle, any extra string beyond that, by longer headstock, or the ferrule trick, will not affect it.

11. do they "feel" harsher too?

will check again for buzzing but one thing i did notice was i was getting this annoying buzz when slapping the 3rd fret on the E string and no where else, but it could be the string as its from a really old set i had lying around and i only noticed it after i had changed that string

sorry my bass has 4 strings tuned E A D G like on any standard 4 banger

unless you are garry willis:bag:

12. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    Having the string buzz on the third fret is a common problem. I'm sure all of my basses have one string that buzzez on the third fret. What does the relief in the neck look like?

13. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    What strings are you using currently?

14. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    ...get a Nordy vJ 4.

:bag:

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You can get them in nickel or stainless, so if the stainless ones are too rough for you (I don't think they're bad at all), you can get the nickels. There are other stiff strings out there besides Lo Riders as well- that's just a kind I like.

Unfortunately they don't work for Gary either, even if he thinks they do :D

16. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    No more than other nickes, but I dunno about the steels. :meh:
    Thing is, he uses taperd strings, it *could* affect them, if you pull the untapered area really close to the saddle, heh, would definatly change stuff, if you pulled it right over.... :D

17. Decide on a type, gauge and brand of string that you are going to use from here on out. Take it to a good guitar/bass tech and have a complete setup done to it. You will be amazed at the results. It will be a totally new bass and a dream to play. A poorly setup bass can be quite miserable.
    It will cost you anywhere between $50-100. Depends on where you are located.

18. really? i had no idea about that! i think the neck is pretty straight but idk how to measure the relief nor do i have the kind of ruler you'd need but anyway the truss rod on it doesnt move no matter what

they are some DR's but i dont know any thing besides that, i cant change the set until i finish the song i half recorded today and the next date is next week so will have to wait

hmmm is there a way to id DR lo riders from hi beams?
    it better be working for garry because he wrote a whole page about it in his book! i bet his bass comes with a bunch of those things too :D

19. thanks to my location, the best person who can set up this bass is myself! i always set up my own bass and everyone is amazed by how awesome it is to play them at any time. i have raised the saddle height recently but its still pretty smooth to play

20. am sorry is that a bass or a pickup?