1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how to fix those ugly scratches on the top?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ctrlzjones, Jul 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ctrlzjones

ctrlzjones

Jul 11, 2013
    I am not supposed to use furniture polish, or am I?

The bass is a 'not so expensive laminated student bass that goes by the name 'Bertoni'

All suggestions welcome.

P7090100.

2. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    Hi CJ,

Your bass looks decent for a student bass: good laminate, inlaid purfling if I'm not mistaken, and a decent chunk of ebony for a fingerboard.

I think those scratches are just the beginning of some character... But if you really want to hide them, just a little bit of Linseed oil on a paper towel, rubbed in gently, will do the trick. Get the boiled kind, so that it will dry. Hardware stores and art supply stores have it.

Cheers,

Paul (eh_train)

3. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    No, don't use that. The finish on your bass and the finish on your coffee table aren't the same at all.

IMO, those dings are the start of the personality of the instrument. What's the story behind them? Drunk barflies? Famous rockstars? Zany antics? Ninjas? It just adds interest.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  4. Oh, that's nothing. I wouldn't worry about those little bitty nicks. Your bass will acquire more soon enough.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  5. ctrlzjones

ctrlzjones

Jul 11, 2013
    Yes, I know that this is nothing important, they are on my main bass too and I am not bothered at all. I like signs maturity.

It's just that the bass is borrowed (not from somebody I know personally and I have no chance to talk to the owner face to face)
    The whole deal was organised by someone who does not know anything about basses and I do not want to get him into any kind of trouble.
    The scratches weren't there the day before yesterday when I took it from the shelf of a music school ...

Actually I have no idea how they got there I have trimmed fingernails and was wearing a t-shirt ...

So: if not lineseed oil, what do I use to make the wrinkles disappear?

BTW the fingerboard is painted and the whole thing does not sound very convincing ...

6. Chris204T

Chris204T

Feb 4, 2014
    Dallas area
    My dad worked on school instruments mostly for 30 plus years, and he swears by Old English scratch remover. It will darken the bare spots and hide those scratches pretty well. There may be more than one color, I don't remember. Since the bass isn't very dark in color, you might want to try a lighter shade of scratch remover so as not to make it too dark.

7. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    If it were in my shop, I would touch up the scratches using a tiny artist's brush and some garnet polish or seed-lac...or maybe just some orange shellac...depending on how dark that finish really is. You can render scratches virtually invisible. Definitely unnoticeable.

8. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    I think Remyd was saying don't use furniture polish (which was what your OP was about). The linseed oil will definitely work, as will other ones that might even be in your kitchen (walnut and olive oil). Just use a very little of the kitchen variety, cos those aren't treated like the linseed...

Remyd likes this.
  9. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    I suggest Arnold Schnitzer approved Copic Markers... They work better than anything, and can be blended in... I've been using them and have had very good results

jmlee and Michael Eisenman like this.
  10. ctrlzjones

ctrlzjones

Jul 11, 2013
    Olive Oil Virgen (that is: Native Pressing) - Rubbed sparsely on the surface with a soft tissue worked its wonder.
    Please note that now I am pretty sure that any oily (butter) substance would have done the same ...

Boy am I relieved ...

Thanks for the responses ...

/edit on:
    Of course I didn't mean to say: smear butter on precious laminated wood. Who would do such a thing ...
    I also found out that it was the right hands thumbnail leaving those ugly marks (no, I was not slapping) ... and then had to polish again ...
    /edit off

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016