1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how to get bigger sound.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Metallica865, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Metallica865

Metallica865

Jan 6, 2012
    Hey i am using a crate BT-15 practice amp, its barely powerful enough to overpower my drummer, but i need to make it even louder.what is the cheapest possible way to modify my current amp or possibly hook up a speaker or cabinet to improve the volume?

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    theres no options. get a new amp. unless you have a pa system then just mic it and you should be ok but id say bigger amp is always better.

3. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    You'd be better off buying a bigger rig.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, you have no other options but upgrade, dude. That amp is as good as it's ever going to be right now.

5. Metallica865

Metallica865

Jan 6, 2012
    Well i would, but i have no money for that, ive actually considered getting a guitar amp instead of a bass amp

6. DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    Don't run your bass through a guitar amp.

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    personally, i make huge balls of sound with just a hint of Delay. each note comes out with that wet creamy fundamental with harmonic and over-tone richness. it sort of wideneds the notes.

before it hit the Delay unit, i push the note through with a small amount of Compression. YMMV

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Yeah, that's a bad idea. The only way to get a bigger sound is to upgrade to something with more speakers (and preferably more power).

9. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    You really have no choice but to upgrade. If your band uses a PA you can plug directly into it. A lot of venues will allow you to do that as well.

10. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    That makes no sense. How about working, saving money, saving some more money, saving a little more, and then buying a nice amp?

Sorry, but that's really your only viable option. Everything else is a waste of time and money. Good luck.

11. tk4207

tk4207

Sep 25, 2010
    Start saving, then... But really, there's not much else besides that to do. Also, although I don't recommend it at extreme volumes, you'll be pretty safe running through a guitar amp if need be.

12. Metallica865

Metallica865

Jan 6, 2012
    if i had a steady source of income i would, but im 16 and dont have a job so im screwed there, i couldnt somehow set it up to a speaker and make it louder?

13. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    Yeah but only if he keeps it at looooow volumes. You can rip a guitar cab speaker quick! :atoz:

14. Don't do that.
    But you can use a keyboard amp. Torque and Peavey make some decent ones you can find very cheap used.
    Best if you stick to bass amps though.
    A Peavey TNT combo is not the best sounding or lighter option, but it's cheap and robust and will work. If money is an issue, that's where I would look.

15. DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    If there is a PA, you could mic the cabinet.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You could but it's not going to perform any better. It's only a 15w practice amp. At best you'll get a tiny bit more volume, and that's if the cab is big.

I'm afraid it's time for you to investigate the possibility of a part time after school job, dude.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Not to be 'that guy', but I was working by the time I was 14. You can most definitely pick up a job and start saving :)

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I have this feeling there's not going to be PA ;)

19. tk4207

tk4207

Sep 25, 2010
    Mmm, my Ampeg V4 cab begs to differ...

20. DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    I have that feeling too...what is the poor singer doing, trying to scream over the top of the drummer and guitars?