1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to get Billy Sheehan's tone with B3K.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nyangsw, Jan 20, 2013.

1. nyangsw

nyangsw

Apr 26, 2012
    I like the bsss sound in this song.

What B3K setting can do this?

2. Billy Sheehan's tone is a product of his technique more than anything else. Note how he sounds reasonably similar through any rig.

3. Yurtra

Yurtra

Apr 26, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    I'd crank the gain VERY high and keep the blend in the 12:00 area. Won't be exact, but might get you somewhere close. I'm thinking the Vintage Microtubes will probably get a bit closer to this sound since it seems to have that more compressed, warm and slightly furry (as opposed to gritty) quality to it.

4. need to squash it with compression. might also help to have a 2 pickup bi amp system like he does. thats pretty unique

5. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    I think boosting the mids would help a lot! If you have a graphic EQ: 6-10dB@1kHz and cut 4-8dB@5kHz (and over). A single coil neck pickup is important as well!
    Some compression too! Specially if you want those artificial harmonics he's so known for ;).

Regards! Doug.

6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    If you can wait a couple of weeks, EBS are releasing a Billy Sheehan signature overdrive pedal with built in compression and parallel loops that will nail his sound.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021