1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to get good sound from my amp???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MinisterBass, May 4, 2010.

1. MinisterBass

MinisterBass

May 4, 2010
    Griffin,GA
    I have a small amp that came with my bass...FirstAct. I would like to know how to make it sound better.:bassist: It has Treb, Middle and Bass. It also has pressence, what ever that is. I have a 5 string Yamaha Bass and I am trying to get a slap sound so it will not sound so DEEP. My high sounds a little low. HELP

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Take all of the tone knobs on your Yamaha bass and put them flat. If they are tone knobs, all the way up so you have a bright tone. Turn up all the volume knobs. Put the pickup balancer knob in the middle.

Put your First Act amp's knobs at 12 o' Clock. Play your bass and adjust one knob at a time. Turn it half way to the left, then all the way to the left. Then halfway to the right and so on. Play slowly and you will start to hear what each knob really does. It's a practice amp - stick to boosting the high end (treble) to get that slap bass tone.

Presence is the really high frequencies and will amplify the string noise the sound of you moving your hands over the strings.

Let us know if you have questions.

3. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    boost @ 200-250 hz
    cut @ 400-450 hz
    boost @ 1k-1.5k hz

IOW, raise your lo-mids and hi-mids at their extremes and cut the mid-mids if you can do that.

try that for a deep, punchy, slap tone.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that amp may also have sonic limitations.....:meh:

5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    It's a 4 knob amp with only 15 watts of power. There are no extra tone choices on this head, maybe on the bass, but the amp will not get loud enough for anything but practicing 8 feet away from it in a bedroom.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, this is true. Little beginner amps are not really known for their "good tone". Perhaps it's time to step up into something a little better?

7. Like a....

Mesa Boogie???

:D