1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to get the Tim Commerford tone on a Zoom B3?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TheIndieKid, Feb 26, 2016.

1. I love Rage Against the Machine and wanna nail the tone when playing their songs. I have the Zoom B3 and I'd just like any tips to help me get there. Btw I'm looking for the later RATM tone. Evil Empire onwards. Thank you!

2. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    I posted this on UG, I'm presuming you didn't see it.

I have the B3 (great piece of equipment) and have been chasing Tim C's tone myself.
    To emulate his tone I'm using a VM Jazz bass with rounds and fairly high action. Hit the strings hard, his style is very aggressive. Favour the bridge pick-up 100 to 60 neck pick-up.

Set the BBpre to about 50-60 blend and gain around 20-40, EQ to taste but keep it pretty flat. Then the opticomp, based on the Aphex he uses, and set the drive around 7.

Finally you have the choice to use the Sansamp sim, with fairly low gain or the SVT sim with the speaker sim set around 20. This depends on if you are going to use this patch with an amp or DI/headphones.

If you have an expression pedal you can swap out the BBpre for the wah and set the Sansamp with a higher gain. This way you can set two patches side by side for a clean and driven sound.

Finaly for the EQ on the sansamp/SVT, turn the bass down a little, his sound is quite mid focused, then everything else is left pretty flat. You can make small adjustments as it depends which album sound you are going for. For me the tone I'm chasing is more Evil Empire.
    For the first album you need a musicman bass he only used Jazz basses after.

TheIndieKid likes this.
  3. Thank you dude! I take it you love Rage like me. What's your favourite song? I really appreciate it though. Didn't think someone would answer.

4. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    No problem. They have too many good songs to list but my favorite tone would be Tire Me, the bass just growls.
    There is also a Zoom B3 patches thread in the effects forum, it might be worth having a look.

5. Oh right! Okay. And Tire Me is just full of growling, grinding goodness. I tried your suggestion. Is the BBPre the Bass BB or the Bass Drive or whatever it's called?

6. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    Sorry, it's the bass BB. It's not exactly like what he uses but it's about the closest you can get on the B3.

TheIndieKid likes this.
  7. Thanks a bunch. It's really helped! Sorry I have a few more questions though. I hope you don't mind.
    -Have you tried the Overdrive and Octaver to mimic his tone? I heard Tim used them. I don't know what songs he's used the Octaver on.
    -Why the Sansamp BDDI? The MXR has a few more options as well as a switch for distortion and clean channels?
    -Do you use the DI with headphones and the speaker sim with an amp or the other way?

8. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    He uses the octave on one or two songs, i think on 'no shelter'. Not on the ones i play so i never bothered with it.
    He used a marshal guv'nor overdrive before he made his custom one but the overdrive on the b3 doesn't really sound like it, it's a little fizzy. I use the sansamp as it simulates an ampeg svt (the amps he used for ratm) so it gets you closer. Again the mxr really doesn't sound like it. If you turned the treble down you could use it for the dirt but you still need to run it into the sansamp (on clean) or the svt sim.
    At home i play through headphones so i use the speaker sim but when i use an amp i turn it off. Running speaker Sims into speakers can really kill the tone.

9. Thank you! I swear I seen a picture somewhere that showed he used a ODB-3. I remember hearing he taped it over because he's not an endorser of Boss Products.

10. image.
    My mistake. It was his DD-3 digital delay and OC octave pedal. However, this top picture has identified an MXR in the fray.

11. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    He has got to be the only bass player I know who uses 2 wah pedals in series bridged with a plank.

12. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I went through that 2002 Audioslave album learning the bass just for the heck of it. This was years ago. It wasn't easy.