1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to get this tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Patrol42, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Patrol42

Patrol42

Nov 2, 2008
    Monterey, CA

How do you think I'd be able to get this tone? I really love how it sounds and am wondering if I get it with any effects.
    I basically have a GK 1001rb MK II neo 4X10 and Jazz bass with Ultra Jazz picks ups.
    Thanks!

2. without even looking at the vid.

I bet.

It's a p bass through an ampeg stack with anywhere from mild to moderate overdrive.

Played with a pick

Who wants to tell me if I'm right.

3. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm not even going to watch to clip but I'm guessing J-bass with cranked SVT. :D

4. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I watched the video (briefly) for you. It's a Stingray 5 (close enough) on the video, sounds pretty anonymous to be honest.

No grind from the head that I could hear. Nothing of note.

How to get that tone: Use any bass and amp. Remove anything from the EQ that might give the sound any recognisable character.

5. hahahahaheheheheh

6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Roll the tone knob all the way down on your Jazz, set your EQ flat, boost and cut frequencies until you get close.

EDIT:

And please god never post that video again. :D

7. a_magg

a_magg

Sep 23, 2007
    NYC
    Couldn't hear bass, was too busy trying to figure out how to cop all those awesome haircuts. :cool:

8. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    :p I love it. that is seriously the answer to 80% of these threads. Grygrx, seriously, add that the FAQ!!!

q: how to I get this tone: {clip}

a: either a p or j bass, cranked svt

9. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    You will be buried so far in the mix it really doesn't matter what you are playing. There isn't anything peaking out to give the bass tone any distinction. Just play whatever quieter than the rest of the band. Make sure you can't hear yourself. Or just unplug your amp and jump around a lot.

Actually The Valnött might come in handy. :p You can skip ahead to the 4:00 mark to hear it with bass.

10. I'm still waiting for the vintage reissue of that pedal. Or the updated one with "Tree Bypass" switching.

:ninja:

11. Patrol42

Patrol42

Nov 2, 2008
    Monterey, CA
    It's crystal clear and really drives that song. So I take it I can get that sound with my Jazz bass, eh?
    He uses a Stringray 4 string with a SVT-VR head.
    Bit clearer here

12. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I hear P bass and ampeg stack (as was prophesized!!!). I'd turn the tone to 50% on the J bass, use both pickups on full and use fairly worn stainless steel strings. I'd probably have the amp eq'd mostly flat but maybe a bit of a cut on the high mids and the treble.

13. jschwalls

jschwalls

Sep 4, 2007
    Savannah GA
    THANK YOU FOR THE "Valnott".. i am still laughing...

14. GC4

GC4

Apr 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    hahah dont wash your hair/cut it for about 6 months and i think you'll get that greasy hair, "you ripped my heart out" look that 100% of this genres players like to sport

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm just glad we're not on "TalkVocals" and you're not asking how to get his vocal tone. :meh:

Yeah, that's a generic "any ordinary bass through an Ampeg" tone. I would have guessed P, not Ray, but the engineer probably EQ'ed it to sound more like a P (more low mids, less highs). Or maybe he used a P in the studio. Doesn't matter. Yes, you can get that sound with your J. Just use one of the many Ampeg-emulating devices on the market, and bypass the preamp on the GK head.

16. Patrol42

Patrol42

Nov 2, 2008
    Monterey, CA
    Thanks!
    The bass sounded the same live, too. Really shook the floor. Even more so than the P bassers, but they tended to use a more aggressive growly tone, which I love too.

17. sounds nothing special to me.

18. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    just get rid of the highs and the mids leave the tone in the bass though. youll get a sound similar

19. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    I think I heard a wah in there, definitely a Crybaby... or was it a vintage EHX Switchblade.. :smug:

20. dude that thing slays

as for the video clip by the OP, if i was in that band, id question why they even have a bassplayer on the payroll, the guitarist just needs an octave pedal.

there dont seem to be any effects used, so id say any bass+plus any amp + some production skills, will get you there.

just my opinion, im trying (very hard) not to hate on the band, they'll probably make more money than me playing music.