1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to isolate bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by foudufafa, Nov 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. How does one take a recording (say mp3 or equivalent) and process it to isolate the bass? I see all these isolated bass youtube recordings and would like to do the same for my songs library. I have Logic Pro if it helps. Thanks

2. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    You can fool around with EQ, but if you dial out the highs, you're going to lose some of the bass tone. You really need the Master tapes, which have the bass on a separate track. Then, you can mix tyhe volume of everything else down and leave the bass volume up.

3. So all these youtube recordings are from the master tapes? I am sure there is some other technique. DJ are also able to isolate certain sounds to create remix. I doubt they all have access to the master.

4. brokenstoned

brokenstoned

Sep 20, 2012
    Providence
    Alot of the isolated bass tracks you'll find on YT are from video games such as Guitar Hero and Rock Band. The games use the master tapes, I believe, and people can rip the songs from the games and remix or iso tracks. I don't know how they do it, I just know that is how alot of them are done.