How to Power a Barefaced Big Twin II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stevegrif, Feb 2, 2021.

1. stevegrif

stevegrif

Dec 27, 2006
    Oregon USA
    Hi there - I finally cracked and ordered a BFBT2. I currently play a Status S2 5 string with the ParaGraphix EQ, and I use a Trace Elliot Transit B.

Am I better off using an actual bass amp (Thinking Berg B|Amp or Mesa 800+) or using a straight-forward Power Amp like a Crest Prolite 2? I do have a Kustom GrooveBass 1200 - I like it a lot, but it is a) Old, and b) Heavy.

Cheers
    Grif

2. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Do you like the tone you get from your preamp and EQ? If so, the Quilter bass block is an amazing amp that has a powerful power amp, and a simple preamp that doesn’t get in the way of your pedal tones.

I’ve been considering building a rig that using preamp amp pedals for my tone, and the quilter for the volume.

Zbysek and stevegrif like this.
  3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I'd also recommend the Quilter BB800. It's great sounding on it's own, and it also works very well as a power amp. I use the BB800 with a Barefaced Super Twin and an Alembic F-2B preamp. The Quilter wont do lower than 4 ohms, but with the BFBT2 you won't need anything else.

Zbysek likes this.
  4. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I used an Aguilar TH500 and AG700 with 2 Super Compacts and now with a BB2 and Super Midget.

I'd suggest any amp will sound good through BF cabs from 500 watts up.

jeff7bass, lpbfender and sears like this.
  5. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I prefer to power my Big Twin II with a power amp and alembic preamps because I love a really clean Hifi sound.
    I also have a Mesa Boogie Walkabout which I use sometimes when I'm travelling lighter. BarefacedRig.jpg

jeff7bass likes this.
  6. StephenR

StephenR

May 21, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I use a Crest ProLite 3.0 to power both of my Barefaced cabinets (SuperTwin and Big Baby II). Since the early 80s I have always used separate pre and power amps. That allows a good clean power source and since I own a couple of pre-amps I can choose the one I want to pair with the cabinet for specific needs or just a change of pace. Thankfully digital power amps have come a long way and you no longer need to lug a monster amp to get good sound. IMO any preamp you like the sound of is going to sound good with your Barefaced cabinet.

7. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Thankfully with barefaced you don't need to lug heavy cabs around either. Win Win.

8. SerratedBass

SerratedBass

Nov 4, 2010
    UK
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass Guitars,
    You don't see many Dubsters around!

9. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    No, i picked this one used and it is one of the only two pre production models so does not even have a serial number. BF started making powered versions but now neither version is currently in production anymore, and not many were made.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021