1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to record bass on my computer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by gizmobltd, Aug 5, 2007.

1. gizmobltd

gizmobltd

Jun 25, 2007
    Scranton
    i want to record my bass on my computer what do i need to plug my bass in my computer:confused:

2. Well you can get some dongles from radio shack to use your audio inputs (1/8 to 1/4) but I would recommend getting a Line 6 Tone Port and recording proper and have an arsenal of effects and amps.

3. gizmobltd

gizmobltd

Jun 25, 2007
    Scranton
    how much would this cost??

4. Moose308

Moose308

May 3, 2002
    Canada
    For reference, I can (finally) get a good instrument recording onto my computer.

My new amp has a DI (Direct In). You can also get stand alone DI boxes (SansAmp BDDI for example).

So, from my amp, the DI goes to a 25' XLR microphone cable, which goes to a XLR-1/8" Stereo plug. This is plugged into my soundcard.

Granted, this is not a pro setup by anymeans, but it works well, and quite clearly. The biggest thing is that it bypasses the very noisy preamps on the soundcard. I can adjust the DI level from the amp (or DI box) so I can get the level. Previously, going from 1/4" instrument cable into the soundcard didn't work well, way too much noise, due to preamps.

So a basic recording-bass-on-your-computer setup would be a soundcard (obviously), an XLR-1/8" connector ($10), XLR microphone cable ($20), a form of DI box ($?)

5. skidrawk

skidrawk

Jan 21, 2007
    Space City, TX
    You should have a mic input on your computer. You'll need some sort of preamp gain stage between your bass and that input. See if you have a preamp out on your amp or you could also use a mixer channel if you have one handy. Also if you have a multi effects pedal, you should have an output there that will work.