How to remove tuner bushings from headstock?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    I bought a Hipshot tuner set to replace the stock tuners of my Geddy. Is there an easy way to remove the stock bushings from the headstock? They seem tightly pressed in the tuner holes.

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Find a socket wrench set, and use a socket that is just the right size. Put the socket into the hole, against the bushing. Hit it with a hammer. Viola.

Lownote38 likes this.
  3. Put. The. Hammer. Down.

bassbushings_01.jpg

bassbushings_02.jpg

bassbushings_03.jpg

M0ses, Turnaround, Qlanq and 14 others like this.
  4. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    The clamp and socket method is a sheer stroke of genius!

Lownote38 likes this.
  5. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    Good one!

Lownote38 likes this.
  6. Hi.

I can't count the times when I have directed people to that great pictorial by ponticat. This time the original poster got there first :).

It's a small wonder it ain't in the stickies.

But then again, who reads the stickies anyway ;).

Regards
    Sam

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Ponticat rocketh!

8. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    thanks a lot. I have to install new tuners and was 2 seconds away from grabbing a hammer :p off to Harbor Freight to get a clamp

9. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I've removed them with a hammer and screwdriver before. I do not recommend this method. Go with the socket and clamp, save yourself a stab to the leg.

staurosjohn and twocargar like this.
  10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Of course, that's not from personal experience...it happened to a "friend", right? ;)

11. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Oh, crap!!! Why'd my headstock crack and the neck splitsplit when I hit the bushing with a hammer?!!? Now instead of putting new tuners on, I'm getting a whole new neck...

12. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Yes, is a good one!

But I'd suggest that in removal, depending on how tight the bushing is in the headstock, the large socket could leave a compressed "ring" on the face of your headstock. I use a large vise and a smooth piece of wood with a hole in it. I've used a piece of felt under the wood to protect the finish, but to tell the truth I worry that the sometimes the fibers of the cloth can also make an impression on the finish. (makes it sort of dull) I've not had any problems with a piece of hardwood with a hole slightly larger than the bushing sanded very smooth.

Installation is fine as is. In fact it's probably better than the vise and blocks of wood I use in protecting the finish.

But in any case there is no doubt that the clamp method can "Git 'R Done" even just as described.

Lownote38 likes this.
  13. ThrashMaster

ThrashMaster

Jul 7, 2010
    Boston, MA
    there, fixed that for ya haha

done it that way literally hundreds of times with no problems

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just wondering why remove the bushing? Wouldn't it be the same as the ones that come with the Hipshots? I just replaced a set of crappy tuners on a MIM Jazz with a set of Hipshots and just re-used the bushings and screws.

15. Yes, that's an option. I've done it. If the old ones aren't all worn out why bother?

16. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Thanks, that my first laugh of the day!

17. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I use a drumstick.

WillyWonka likes this.
  18. I just took mine out with a hammer and a flat head screwdriver.
    Delicately tap on the bushing in several spots until it pops out. Just be sure you push it up evenly, so it doesn't compress the wood in one spot.

19. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    I saw this little pictorial once before, just came back to say: total winner! :bassist:

20. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    What's the cheap way to buy sockets in those sizes? I can only find expensive sets. Maybe this?

I finally bought this at Home Depot for $17.95 plus tax.

fhm555 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021