1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to run a compressor with an amp

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by 5 String Rich, Sep 29, 2009.

1. 5 String Rich

5 String Rich Guest

Sep 4, 2009
    Can I hook up my Alesis 3630 into the Effects Loop on my amp? A Peavey "Tour" 700?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can, but I think they work better in line. I don't use one anymore but when I did, it was in line.

3. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    I rarely see a compressor in a pro rig. I could never figure out what they really accomplished.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Check the FAQ in my sig for answers to both posts #1 and #3.

5. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Have perused your data (good stuff) as well as the "effects database site". In a nutshell: cut the strong signals, boost the low signals and try to make it all mediocre, because in the end your tone will be compromised. Thanks

JMJ: did you use a compressor while touring with NIN? I'm sure the studio engineers make you use one for recording, but live?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That's assuming that you set it to the "mediocre" setting. I used a compressor just to top off a tiny bit of spiking that I might get, and you really couldn't tell it was on. Not one person ever complained of me sounding "mediocre." I had 99% of my dynamic range intact and never had a problem using dynamics. I went back to tubers and that's why I don't use it anymore, but I always tried to avoid the "mediocre" setting. So don't try so hard to be outrageous next time ;) People have good reasons for wanting a compressor that have zip to do with squashing dynamic range.

7. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Yeah, I don't have much luck live. Used a Distressor with Beck, but kept dialing it back. With NIN, no compression. At my studio, I'll use a Distressor, a Purple 1176, or a Purple Action. I also like my Keely pedal compressor and my EBS MultiComp. The latter really sounds great. But again, I use them all sparingly anyway.

Best,
    JMJ

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    :rollno: If you use the tool effectively (the right tool, used in the right way, in the right context) then your tone can be superior. You only get mediocre results if you put in mediocre effort to use the tool effectively.

9. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i think the main idea, as you stated, is whether it is the "right" tool. screwdrivers don't help for banging in nails.

10. 5 String Rich

5 String Rich Guest

Sep 4, 2009
    So You all agree I'd be better off trading it in for an FX Processor?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I would. I was never too keen on the 3630 anyway. Too noisy for me.

12. I used the Multicomp for years solely to contain peaks, it did a wonderful job and you could barely, as in not tell it was on.

I no longer own a pedal compressor but do miss having one....

13. Carlonbass

Carlonbass

Oct 4, 2009
    I'm shopping for compressors and wanted a rackmount with a footswitch but i'm not seeing the ones i'm interested in having them. dbx160a doesn't as far as i can tell. do any of the rackmounts have em?

i suppose a pedal is better for my purposes. i want compression for slap mostly, and i tend to play hard with fingers.

i thought the slap sound was GREAT when i demoed the EBS MultiComp. will probably get that one. any thoughts?

www.myspace.com/carlrichardson

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    AFAIK there are no rackmount comps with a footswitch, unless you count multifx units that happen to include a compressor.

15. 5 String Rich

5 String Rich Guest

Sep 4, 2009
    I just picked up an Alesis 3630, 2 channel W/Footswithch access (Solsd Seperately!) for $99.00.
    Same price everywhere.
    Actually its, a compressor,limiter,Noise Gate
    Seems to be a nice addidtion, I play a lot of demanding "Slap" Funk tequniqe incorporated into Deth Metal!?

Keep the amp from exploding! :bassist:

16. 5 String Rich

5 String Rich Guest

Sep 4, 2009
    If you had a 4 space rack, besides the 2 spaces I've lost with my Peavey Tout 700 Amp in the bottom, what else would you reccomend filling the other 2 spaces with?\

FX Processor?
    Light module?
    Tuner?

Been playing for 30 yrs!.
    But just now getting into the world of Rackmount stuff.
    Thanks!