1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to set your AMP with a sansamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Gaz, Oct 4, 2008.

1. The Gaz

The Gaz

Sep 24, 2008
    saved my toneless SWR 750x head with a sansamp DI. currently i'm setting everything on my head at noon. i'm going into the head's active input, and setting sansamp flat (at noon) besides the drive all the way up...perhaps the treble and prescence are down just a hair.

it is sooooooooooo bassy! i feel like the speakers in my Eden 410XLT are going to rupture!! what gives? i don't think my eqing is ridiculous, adn the volume is loud by not maximum - the heads only running at 400 watts with the 8ohm cab,

was the swr just that bad?

is the sansamp just that awesome?

should i be setting the amp's tone controls, at least bass, at zero?

is there another way to bypass the tone conrols on the amp? through the effects loop or something?

thanks!

2. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    i set my amp flat and i run my sansamp through the loop. i use the SVT and the fat tube settings, the third (i own the pbddi) is my custom 'clang' tone. but i mainly use the SVT.

3. The Gaz

The Gaz

Sep 24, 2008
    i'll try through the loop. do you have a "problem" with it being way bassier than your amp/

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    bass --> Sansamp --> fx loop RETURN on the head

...is the method described in the Sansamp manual, and preferred by many users.

Sound is too bassy? The Sansamp has a bass EQ knob. Turn it down. ;) The Sansamp EQ is not flat at noon. RTM, and note that the Sansamp is normally quite mid-scooped, so to set it "flat" (as flat as it will ever get) you turn down both the bass and the treble some. :)

5. The Gaz

The Gaz

Sep 24, 2008
    i guess i meant, no it's not too bassy, and i actually don't believe in such a thing, but perhaps set improperly and potentially hazardous to my speakers. it seemed to be set moedrately, but to my ears extremely bass heavy, especially when a/b'ed with my head sans sansamp. and i thought it was flat at noon - clockwise increasing and counter-clockwise actually decreasing dbs, rather than only adding.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    :rolleyes: "set improperly, potentially hazardous, extremely bass heavy..." Come on. That's "too bassy", and that's when you turn down the bass knob.

7. The Gaz

The Gaz

Sep 24, 2008
    true, but the pensive emoticon just makes me wanna turn it up!

8. I'd say you've got the Drive set way too high. Turn it off, then tweak it on GENTLY.

As a starting point I normally start with the drive off (anti-clockwise), Blend full on (clockwise) and bass, treble and presence all about 1 o'clock. The controls are VERY sensitive so I generally tweak 'em carefully and don't have to move 'em far from this setting, depending on what I'm playing through.

Having the drive on full is way too over the top for me as it pushes the bottom end mercilessly, and also I generally want a clean-ish tone. At the moment I normally leave the Drive all the way off. I'll maybe tweak it a bit, but rarely past about 9 o'clock unless I'm specifically using the BDDI as an overdrive in which case I'll cut the Bass knob back.

9. The Gaz

The Gaz

Sep 24, 2008
    thanks, i'll try it. it's just that my tone is very round and without treble, yet i want distortion. i know it's slightly impossible because all that makes distortion 'distortion' lies in the high frequencies - the buzz and grind.

that's half the reason i set the gain so high, the other reason being that many of the presets show the gain at near maximum - i thought my settings were in fact close to normal. it was "too bassy" to my ear, but i thought perhaps my head just really sucked and i had no idea what kind of lowend i'd been missing.