how to that "Geddy" sound

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bitter1, Jul 25, 2004.

1. bitter1

Jul 25, 2004
    i want that geddy lee sound i have tried everything. i have a Carvin pb-200 and a fender Jazz bass. help me get that "Geddy" sound.
  2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Buy a Geddy Lee Jazz ;) His rig was posted here some time ago..maybe that can help.
  3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    1 Fender Jazz Bass circa 1972
    4 Fender Jazz Basses circa 1996 (Custom Shop)
    2 Avalon U5 Tube Direct Boxes
    2 SansAmp R.B.I. Bass preamps by Tech 21
    2 Palmer PDI 05 Speaker Simulators
    Trace Elliot Quatra-VR power amps

Here is Geddy's Rig! as can be found at
  4. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Steal Geddy's fingers/fingertips

Sound isnt ALWAYS from the rig, you know ;)
  5. His 'sound' (although slightly influenced by the hardware) comes from his fingers. He doesn't fingerpick the traditional way (traditional: allowing the string to vibrate cleanly with no string and fret interference noise)

He uses a more aggressive motion, pushing strings toward the body with his right hand fingers which causes the string to purposely rattle against the fretboard. This rattling effect, when done cleanly and with proper eq, give the Geddy growl. His fingers are in very good shape and to play with this technique for any length of time, they have to be. I guarantee a Rick, a Jazz, or a Steinberger won't give you the "Geddy" sound as much as the above technique will.

Good luck. ;)
  6. Agreed. Geddy's sound is 90% in his hands. He has used a variety of rigs, basses, and recording equipment over the years yet still has that instantly recognizable sound.
  7. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    Don't forget those zingy Rotosounds.
  8. Viper

Viper Guest

Jun 2, 2004
    Williamsport PA0
    aaand of course the fact he can sing in sounds no normal human being should be able to. it's almost unfair lol
  9. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    No doubt a lot of Geddy's sound comes from his aggressive right hand tehnique. But in my days of Rush fandom I also found that the Geddy Lee sound came from dialing in some midrange and blending in favor of the bridge pickup. That with a hard right hand gave that twangy snappy midrangey sound that is so much Geddy's.
  10. yyz

Aug 17, 2004
    Bumpass, Virginia
    He also uses a sort of "flamenco" type fingerstyle in his playing. Im trying to get that down now. Hard stuff.
  11. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I've managed to get a Geddy tone at will, I can also get some Wooten or Jaco or whatever in many situations :p. The fingers themselves don't matter much, it's how one controls and forces them. Uh huh.
  12. Remember Geddy also has a portion of the tip of his main picking finger missing.
  13. NOTE: I do not recommend this modification.