How to thicken my distorted tone.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Surco, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Surco

Surco

Jul 16, 2021
    Hello,

So far, I only have Jam Rattler Bass (RAT clone) pedal and I am using it with my Rumble 25 or directly to an interface (works perfectly without any IR/cabsim).

The pedal is great, but I really miss some thickness and warmth in my tone (even without the pedal). I would like to achieve that while preserving Rattler's unique character.

Should I get some warm comp (e.g., Diamond), or pre-amp (e.g., Vintage Deluxe, Rheingold BP2) or just simple EQ pedal (e.g., Tone Job)?

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Before anything else spend more time with what you have and experiment with settings, plucking position etc.
    (Imho)

3. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    Boss LS-2 is what you need. Place the Ratt in one loop and select A+B in the LS-2. Your clean tone who has balls will be mixed with your thin distorted sound.

4. Beheroth

Beheroth

Aug 26, 2016
    there's already a clean blend on this pedal

well, have you tried it with one ? might just be the answer

5. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Saturn VI before the Rat, and/or VT Bass (EQ, cab sim) after the Rat

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would start with your tone knobs. A lot of distortion pedals suck low end.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    A Darkglass Harmonic Booster before your distortion works wonders! I use it for exactly what you're doing. It really beefs up thinner sounding drive pedals.

Surco and non like this.
  8. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    If you like inherent sound of the Rattler, you might be happier with a RAT-inspired pedal from a different brand that lets you sculpt your distorted tone differently. Instead of having to buy one or more pedals to go with the Rattler to get the sound you seek, get one that does what you want.

9. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    For extra thickness I think you want a clean blend, preferably with a crossover or lowpass filter on the clean side so that you can blend in clean low end with the distorted mids and highs from the pedal. The Broughton Filter FX Loop works wonders. See also Damnation Audio Bypass Loop.

If you're playing through an interface and using a DAW in your computer, you could do this by splitting your bass signal to two channels, with distorted signal on one channel and clean signal on the other, then EQ them to compliment each other and blend to taste. You would need some sort of basic DI or splitter before the distortion pedal to send the clean signal to a second channel.

10. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Hmmm, I wonder where he should start looking... ;)

11. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Turn up the bass, turn down the treble.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  12. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you are missing something with or without the pedal, you should spend some time getting to know the tone controls on your bass and amp, and the EQ in your DAW before committing money and time to the rabbit hole of effects.

13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    If you mean amplified tone, a Rumble 25 really isn't going to sound thick regardless of what pedals you put in front of it.

cataract, bitzie, DJ Bebop and 4 others like this.
  14. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Boost the 200-250 slider.

15. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    The time has come to start tinkering again!

mcnach and paco weht like this.
  16. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Been thinking of doing this myself. I have an LS-2 which I primarily use to have two basses at gigs. But my Billy Sheehan pedal (first purple one) does suck the lows a bit, so Ive been thinking about using the LS-2 and blend a real clean signal with the BS.

17. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    My Rumble 40 sounds great with the solidgoldfx Beta MkII pedal which gives it a tube-like breakup while retaining the "Phatness" of my sound. I'm sure the Rumble 25 would be similar although thinner. The Beta MKII has a tube preamp side and a distortion side with the switch. Great for recording too. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

18. I recommend using a multi-band distortion, such as DarkGlass MicroTubes X. That way, you can keep your low end intact while saturating only the frequencies above your determined threshold.

19. Mids on the eq knob

20. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Used a Rat for years. It was really important to keep the distortion low, around 10:00, and the filter no higher than 2:00. Everyone is suggesting you buy their favorite pedal, as usual for TB, but I will say that a few years ago, I went through a bunch of pedals looking for distortion that was Rat-like out of a modern, takes-an-external-9V-supply and has-true-bypass sort of pedal and it was tougher than I expected. Best I found for a proper deep enraged dinosaur tone was the Darkglass Vintage Microtubes.

Surco likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021