Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to tune to C - G - C - F

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Scarface, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Scarface

Scarface

Feb 14, 2004
    does anyone know any sites on how to tune my bass to C - G - C - F because i cant find out and ive been trying to get a song down and it needs to be tuned at C - G - C - F

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Uhh..just..tune it? Do you have an electric tuner?

3. Scarface

Scarface

Feb 14, 2004
    i noe but i dont know what settings its at i see a bb and a g and others any of those the tunning im looking for?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont know what kind of tuner yours is.. but mine basicaly, you play the note and it tells you what note it is, and whether it is sharp or flat. If you detune your string to a relative low C, it should tell you what to do until it is in tune,no?

5. Scarface

Scarface

Feb 14, 2004
    i gotta get a new tuner mines a bad one any suggestions? my friend is selling his fender ST-1 chromatic tuner but im not sure what tuners are good

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Any tuners work for me. I have a Fender. Its fine. I also have a Korg but the Fender is better/more precise.

7. Unless you're using heavy guage strings, CGCF is not going to sound very good on your E string. You're almost better off using a B string as the E, and tuning it to C from there.

8. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Just curious, why do you wanna tune to CGCF? Not very many bands use that tuning....unless you are trying to learn some early mudvayne or something. Unless you have a 35inch scale bass and some heavy arse strings, its going to be really floppy. I play a 34 inch scale with heavy set strings. I tune to C# though.... But after I tune to C# I drop the top string bout half a step. Then again, my band is really heavy and low. I find the easiest way to get this tuning though is without a tuner, or with little use of a tuner. I use my tuner to tune to EADG, then I play a C note and tune my top string to that note....After that its alll tuning by ear and is pretty simple.

I may be wrong about this...my bass skills arnt the best, but thats how I tune to the lowness you desire.