1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how to use line 6 xt live

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by steveonthebass, Oct 23, 2013.

1. steveonthebass

steveonthebass

Oct 11, 2013
    Hello there. I picked up a line 6 xt live and have been trying to work my way through everything it does. I've played bass for about 12 years but have never used ANY kind of effects pedal or anything. So needless to say, navigating through everything this piece does has been daunting. I'm getting fairly comfortable working with it and have made some of my own presets and such. But I don't really know exactly what I am looking for, in terms of sounds, if that makes sense. So my question is, are there some particular presets or custom settings that folks have found useful? I like to keep things fairly simple as the above would indicate. I play in a blues/rock band and just looking for maybe a couple of basic ideas for settings that are useful/versatile.

any other thoughts on getting the most out of the piece would be helpful. thanks in advance.

2. steveonthebass

steveonthebass

Oct 11, 2013
    hope it's not bad form to bump my thread. looking for some suggestions.

3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Are you using it for recording or live performances? for recording, you can hook up the line 6 xt live to a recording mixing board like a tascam digital portastudio or a zoom r8/r24 and export all your recordings to your computer and mix everything on a recording software like sonar, protools, etc. for live performances, you can just simply hook up your line 6 xt live to your amp.

As for effects, it takes time to get to know the effects and find which effects is right for you. once you find the right effects, take the time to adjust the controls to your liking and figure out if these are the effects to leave on for the entire song or use it at certain parts of the song.

4. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    Overall these are insanely good units. Only their not easy to figure out. If you don't mind putting the time in you won't be disappointed. You can download the User Manuel, and that's probably the best place to start. Also there's a computer app that let's you edit, save, backup etc. etc. the makes things a lot more manageable.

5. steveonthebass

steveonthebass

Oct 11, 2013
    thanks for the responses. It's for live performance. I do have the manual and have pretty much figured out HOW to use but am asking for help on what sounds (or presets) people have used that they like and use frequently.

6. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    Are you running it into an amp, or direct to the PA?

I have the BASS EXPANSION PACK installed on mine, have been using it for about 4-5 years. I go direct into the PA and we use in-ears for monitoring. It has been working just great. I pretty much use the Ampeg SVT model all the time, although I also like some of the Line6 creations like the L6 Frankenstein and Doppelganger.

I highly recommend downloading the Line6 Edit or Gearbox software if you haven't already, it makes editing your patches much easier.

7. steveonthebass

steveonthebass

Oct 11, 2013
    I'm running it directly into my amp for now. I'll check out those that you mentioned. thanks, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

I'll look into downloading that patch. again, thanks and any other suggestions or input would be most appreciated.

8. I use a pod HD as an effects processor with no modeling before my rig. I have mine connected to a boss ls2 so i can take it out of the signal chain when not using it. I basically use the pod as a virtual pedalboard. Here's some examples

1 reverb
    2 chorus
    3 octaver
    4 delay

Multieffect patches include
    Reverb and chorus together
    Reverb and delay together (great for 2 hand tap)
    I use the Octiverb and particleverb together for a crazy ambient synth pad sound.
    I also use the pitch glide (whammy model) with delay, reverb, and also a flanger for to cop that octave guitar (Valjarta, djenty type clean multi effect sound.

Reverb is probably my favorite effect but you have to be mindful of the venues you play. In a small venue its usually no a big deal. But if its a large room i tend to set the reverbs to be more subtle. If you use reverb in a big room that has a natural reverb effect it can get all washed out.

I do not use the gain based effects at all. For example over drives, distortion a, fuzz an so on. Digital processors are great for some effects but for dirt I strongly prefer analog units. I use a sans amp RBI as my pre amp. I can get a little grit with it. If i want some really crazy dirt in the studio i use my tech 21 gt2 and record it parallel to my rig so its on its own track and my rig still provides all the thick low end so it doesn't sound thin and cheesy.