1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How's the Nashville rock scene?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mrkode, Mar 30, 2009.

1. mrkode

mrkode

Dec 19, 2007
    Montreal
    Hi there,

I was recently talking with some friends of mine about relocating to pursue my musical carreer and one of them suggested I choose Nashville instead of L.A. because first, he got contacts there who could be of some help and because life is less expensive. His contacts are more in the country business which is fine by me but if I have the choice, I'd be more enclined to hit the rock scene and so, was wondering how thriving it was in Nashville. Are there any other big acts and upcoming bands based there aside from the Raconteurs?

Thanks!

2. mrkode

mrkode

Dec 19, 2007
    Montreal
    No responses in two days..... I guess it answers the question in itself LOL

3. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    It's there, there are wayy too many bars for it not to be there. You should be able to find a good rock band.

4. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    well, nashville is about country music and Christian music, and it's about recording. Not that there's no rock there, but Nashville is pretty much the center of the universe for country and Christian music.

5. Nashville's got everything, including thousands of amazing musicians. I'm sure there's a decent rock scene there being all those musicians play more than country. In fact, with there being so many colleges and universities there, there's plenty of venues there to play out at.

6. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Not that this post will help, but I went to Nashville for a weekend last Summer and was blown away at the seeming vitality of the music scene. Bands started at noon on Saturday everywhere and there was free and paid music continuing until close. I didn't want to leave.

7. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    +1 I try to go on a weekend trip to there a few times a year. It helps that I only live 4-5 hours away. :D

8. mrkode

mrkode

Dec 19, 2007
    Montreal
    Ah cool, thanks for the replies.

I'm currently hesitating between L.A., London and Nashville. I guess I'll get down there a couple of times and experience it for myself.

Hard decision anyway, L.A seems pretty cool and seems to have one hell of a music scene but chances to slip through the cracks and cost of life makes you think twice. Same thing with London. Adding to that the burden of visas and immigration.... not an easy process.

Anyway, thanks y'all for the responses.

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Sounds like you`d fit right in at Nashville ;)

10. I'm a native Nashvillian and there is plenty of rock here. There are a bunch of clubs with rock bands playing every night, like Exit/In, The Muse, The Cannery, Mercy Lounge, The Basement, The End.

I don't know about getting a record deal by playing around here, all the labels around here are country or christian.

Jack White has opened Third Man records here, so maybe we might start seeing some local acts get deals.

11. It seems like underground culture often thrives in areas where these is also a heavy mainstream presences. It's reactionary.

I don't know first hand, but I'd be willing to bet that there's a decent underground rock scene in Nashville.