Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HUGE BOO

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Dear TB mates,

Recently, I came across some windfall cash - quite a bit, actually.

Deciding that I really wanted a top-end bass, as you would, I did the shop around.

Now, let me fill you in by telling you that I'm a lefty. Bout 12% of the population are, anyway. Could I find a top end bass that fitted my cravings?? Well, yes, but the only bass that came in a lefty that I wanted was a MM Stingray 5, so I spent my dollars on it.

What I'm dark about is that I really would have laid out more cash for a Geddy Lee Fender, or even a Fender 5 string Jazz. However, the knobs at Fender don't make them - letting down another side of the market. Really, does it take that much to reverse the machinery and offer a really top quality left-hander?? Obviously not for MM.

I'm sure that my Stingray will keep me boning up for ages, but its a huge BOO to those large manufacturers who omit lefties!! :spit:

2. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    A lefty production bass probley just to much trouble for them. It's different then what there used to making so it takes time to set this and do that to make what 1 out of 25? Just a number, have no clue how many lefties out there. Would cost them time, thus costing them money. Much like fretless production basses. Though I could be totally wrong, cause it may just be part of a conspiracy against leftys. :D

3. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Why don't you have Nino build you a Valenti bass? It would only be a couple hundred more than a new Fender and you could choose all the custom options. Plus you know the quality would MUCH higher.....

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    actual number is 1 of 10

5. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Actually, I believe it's more like 1 out of 9.

6. .357

Jan 16, 2005
    You can try to learn to play right-handed, like lots of lefties do. That what I did with guitar and now with bass--no problems. Heck, you're doing more dextrous stuff with your left (dominant) hand on the fretboard anyway, at least when playing instruments with a pick in the right hand.

And hey, if this guy can play this guitar (at light speed), anything is possible :)

http://www.angelo.com/html/the_double-guitar.html

7. thanks .357 advice taken

unfortunately, when I started playing at age 9, my teachers were stupid enough to suggest that I learn lefty. To re-learn as a righty would be like you learning to write left handed. Try it and get back to me.

So I'm stuck with it.

Dr Phunky, please tell me more. i'm in australia and never heard of Nino Valenti, but if he can build me EXACTLY what I really want, I'll pay whatever it takes. And thanks for the heads up, mate! :p

8. And to you, Sane

Beleive as the truth that lefties pay a 25% surcharge, so although it actually costs the company nothing in reality to make a lefty, we do pay for being weirdo's.

There is no good reason why a company as big as Fender should baulk at making a left handed version of their product. I currently play a lefty Fender Jazz which is a beautiful instrument, but cost me almost 50% more than what you would pay as a righty.

9. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I saw my first Roscoe Beck 5-stringer recently and I loved the neck, the sound, etc. I wanted one. Fender does not offer it in a lefty.

I went to NAMM last summer (thanks, Skip and Eric!) and asked Fender WHY are all of their lefty basses produced in Mexico only? Not Japan. Not Korea. Not China. Not USofA. The guy I talked to didn't believe me, but he actually stopped me when I was walking by their booth two hours later and told me that I was correct - there are NO Fender basses (other than custom shop) produced anywhere except Mexico. The custom shop cost of a lefty Roscoe Beck 5? Nearly $6k.

I have an Alembic Orion 4, but I really feel more comfortable playing a 5. And, I didn't spend anywhere near $6k for it.

It's a conspiracy, I tell you! :mad:

BTW: Check southpaw.net for a good selection of lefties.

10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    That's fine as long as it's your decision, and BTW Michael Angelo is Ambidexterous, being able to work both right and left handed equally well. I was like that up until 2nd grade when my teacher decided my right handed handwriting was better than my left so they forced me to only write right handed. Now I'm completely right handed, since they included that in my instructions to my teachers until 5th grade. My son is left handed and he came home from school (kindergarden) and was upset because his teacher told him to write with his right hand (they apparently try to get all lefties to switch). Well we had a talk with the school system, which I'm amazed wasn't done before, and that practice has now stopped. As long as YOU decide you want to play right handed that's fine, but don't cave to pressure (either by manufacturers, or educators) to make that choice for you.

11. .357

Jan 16, 2005
    I think you misread my post: I'm a lefty and have always written left-handed :) But I can do many things with my right hand, so I supposed I could be classified as at least partially ambidextrous.

Anyway, let me rephrase: for a lefty starting out, it can make life easier to learn to play right-handed. You get a much wider selection of instruments, most teachers and books will be demonstrating things right-handed, and to my mind, it makes more sense to have your dominant hand on the fretboard anyway, where more dexterity is required.

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, I got a Warwick Corvette 6 because it was the cheapest 6 here that could be had lefty... :eyebrow:

13. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, for me, playing lefty came naturally. Playing righty was so unconfortable and felt so 'not right' ( ;) ) that I went lefty.

14. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Other conspiracies:
    Lefties are usually more creative. Look at Leonardo Da Vinci or Albert Einstein, who are widely accepted as the only two geniuses. They were both lefty.
    Many ancient writings started out from right to left - proof that lefties invented it. Then, it later turned around - when righties discovered how useful it was and took it to their purposes.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, if you got that much money, why not just have Fender's custom shop build any bass you want as a lefty? I'm sure Roger would do the same for you, too.

16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I believe, my friend, that you have been blessed and the gods that be have caught you in their loving arms have dropped you lovingly into the Music Man pond.

It is also my belief that after playing a Stingray for a few months you will not want to so much as touch a new Fender bass. I owned their (at the time) top of the line P-bass deluxe and I can't even begin to tell you the differences btwn that and my Sterlig and Bongo. The Bongo cost just as much as the P-bass and isn't even in the same league both quality and sound wise.

Congratuldations on your new purchase.

17. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Actually Fender Japan does produce lefty basses, but they're the basswood ones without US pickups, i.e. not their top models.

18. I don't know if anyone has PMed you about Nino but he's actually a member on this forum. Have a look around to see what he offers. Very nice instruments from what I can tell. :D

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Okay, firstly, he is an Aussie, and over hear basses cost a lot more than they do at the US. Double the US Retail price of a bass and you get about the Aussie retail price of a bass - however sometimes its more than 2x the US Retail price.

That said, my advice is, with few exceptions, never buy a bass in Australia. You are much better off purchasing one in the US and saving yourself a ton of cash. PM if you want details.

If you still can (and care about the $$ or want another choice of basses) return the MM. For example, you could probably have got a Sadowsky Metro for less than what you paid for the MM here (if you wanted a jazz). But ultimately if you dont care about the money and you wanted the MM - I don't know what we can do to help you! :D

20. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    As was said before, I want to suggest the idea of a Valenti bass. If I was going for a custom, this would be my first option. Top notch stuff, and he's very personable. Never heard a bad review.