1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hum problem with Warwick Rock Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Joe, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Mark Joe

Mark Joe

Apr 8, 2008
    Frederick MD
    I bought a new Warwick Rock Bass a few weeks ago; I am having a hum problem. The hum stops when the main volume is turned to 9 or 10; but is very loud when the main volume is between 4 and 8. It doesn't seem to matter if Im touching the bass or not, or whether the active boost is all the way down on is on.

Is this a grounding issue, or just the nature of the bass?

I also feel the active curcuit is very noisy and lacks clarity, could this be related to the hum problem?

Thanks

--Mark

2. stanger503

stanger503

Jun 13, 2003
    Leadville, Co
    yea it does sound a good bit like a grounding issue to me... anyone else???

3. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I don't know what it is, but a hum caused by a grounding problem will usually go away when you touch the strings or pups.

You might just have a bad/dirty/corroded pot.

4. Mark Joe

Mark Joe

Apr 8, 2008
    Frederick MD
    I checked the connection between the bridge and the outside of the input jack on the bass and it has a good connection. The hum does not change at all when I touch the bass or not. The bass is only 2 weeks old, so it MIGHT be the pot, but I don't hear any crackling noises when I adjust the pot. puzzled... especially then the hum stops when the main volume knob of the bass is at 9 or 10. I tried a couple of different amps, didn't matter.

guess what? I was using a speaker cable from the bass to the amp. Duh!!

thanks for your help ; hope I can return my brand new speaker cables for GUITAR cables!!! thanks again

5. stanger503

stanger503

Jun 13, 2003
    Leadville, Co
    haha problem solved...i was gonna say after that tho it very well may be the pot, just an over all bad pot...but lo...not the problem, glad is solved

6. Mark Joe

Mark Joe

Apr 8, 2008
    Frederick MD
    :)

7. bdtesq

bdtesq

Apr 26, 2009
    I just noticed the same problem with my new Rockbass, but I am using a guitar cord to a Dunlop MXR-8, then an XLR mic cord out. I am guessing that the common denominator is the balanced connection (which is what distinguishes a speaker cable from a guitar cable, right?), but I'm wondering how to correct the problem so that I can continue to use the XLR from the DI to the PA. Insight?