Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Humbucker possibilities?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phatcactus, Jun 12, 2004.

1. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Any electronics geniuses wanna mentally run through this and let me know if it's even possible before I drive myself crazy drawing a diagram? Coils are counted from nearest the neck. "-" means series. "x" means parallel. Parenthesis indicate independent volume-controllability.

Settings I think I want:

Standard humbuckers: (1-2) x (3-4)
    MM Sabre humbuckers: (1x2) x (3x4)
    Hums in series: (1-2-3-4)
    Standard jazz bass: (2) x (3)
    Jazz bass in series: (2-3)
    Wide jazz bass: (1) x (4)
    Wide jazz in series: (1-4)

How I intend to get them into a stock jazz bass control plate with three push/pull pots and a three way switch:

Neck volume: in for series, out for parallel coils
    Bridge volume: in for series, out for parallel coils
    Tone: in for parallel, out for series pickups
    Three-way toggle (4P3T?): inner coils/humbucking/outer coils

Sooo, am I asking for too much? :)

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it's going to be very very crowded to wire something like that into a stock jazz bass control cavity - I'm assuming you mean top jack, not side jack.
    I did something similar with some Dimarzio J pickups in a Geddy Lee jazz, for neck s/p, bridge s/p and master s/p and it was very very tight in there.

IMO, if you do the Fender Roscoe Beck 5 switching you'll have a ton of options without needing master series/parallel. On mrgearhead.com they have the wiring diagram for the RB5, which gives you:

neck: series/parallel/sc (2 using your scheme)
    bridge: series/parallel/sc (4 using your scheme)

But you could then put in a master series/parallel switch to give you one more option.

Have you done anything like this before?

3. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I've done some basic wiring, but nothing this ambitious. However, there's a good chance that I won't put this idea to use for quite a while, so I'll have lots of time to practice. I'll check out the Roscoe Beck 5 diagram and see if it's similar to what I want.

Thanks!