1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

humbuckers vs single coil

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thebassics123, Sep 11, 2010.

1. thebassics123

thebassics123

Aug 7, 2010
    which do you prefer and why

2. MyWifeBoris

MyWifeBoris

Jun 28, 2010
    Canada
    Humbuckers, look and tone.

Yigal83 likes this.
  3. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I prefer Both...for different reasons in different applications at different times according to different moods. Neither is better over the other.

There's a Pickups and Electronics Forum on TB ;)

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Single coils lately, they give a clarity not present inregular humbuckers, but they make noise when soloed.

So I would have to say, splittable humbuckers.

5. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Split coil :D

6. epic!

epic!

Jan 16, 2010
    I cant ever decide...this is why I love my T40.

7. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Single coil for neck pickups, humbucker for bridge pickups.

8. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    Single coils have a little more clarity and Presence to me over Humcancellers.John Suhr uses some good Humfrees in his basses that sound really good.All single coils seem to hum but if you can get your tone with both pickups balanced together I would go with single coils but the hum normally is only noticed between songs.Guitar players make ten times the hum with single coils than basses!

9. Both.

10. single coil neck pickup, humbucking bridge pickup

PawleeP likes this.
  11. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Amen.

12. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification

Suhr's "Humphrey" pickups do sound good. They are however not single true single coils - but rather actually humbuckers and the name implies.

Suhr says there isn't a huge difference between his pickups but I disagree. I had the Humphreys in my bass and while they did sound good (and DEAD quiet), I recently swapped them out for John's true single coil pickup (the "Vintage") model. The difference is unreal - amazing pickups and I'm fine with the little bit of noise. There is nothing like a single coil, especially on a Fender style bass.

13. I think I'd take an awesome bass with soapbars over an awesome bass with singles. The margin of awesome would be small but there's a certain sound that can only be gotten with humbucking pickups that you just can't with singles, that and they don't hum. In addition, for the tones that I liketo get out of single coil basses, an awesome bass with soaps would be able to approximate it well enough for me.

Marcelo Coip likes this.
  14. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Soapbar pickups are single coil.

PawleeP likes this.
  15. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I prefer soapbar and P pups. The humbuckers Ive played, those with the large exposed extra wide pole peices have all been overly trebly voiced without exception to me. Jazz type pups are better then those to me but Ive never really gotten a tone I really like with Jazz pups except for one exception with neck position jazz pup. So I vote neither jazz nor humbucker pups. And vote for soapbar and P pups as the ones I really like. Yes some soapbar pups can do a jazz pup simulation minus hum, but these also do their own soapbar voice too. I do however prefer soapbar pups that in addition to their own soapbar pup voice also do nice P pup simulation.

PawleeP likes this.
  16. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    I find the only pups for me are double hums with massive poles such as what is found in G&L and EBs.
    I dont avoid treble...I go looking for it!:D

17. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Big, fat, meaty MM-style humbuckers. And you can split the coils!! (there is a recent discussion about this in the P/U forum....a split coil will not have the output of a true single coil, but it's good enough for me).

18. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Single coils. Dark Stars. End.

19. I find single-coils to be my favorite most of the time.

20. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    No, soapbars are whatever type of pickup they feel like putting into that housing.