1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hyped about first jam, need help though (a Bass-drums power duo)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Tao_of_Bass, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Hello guys...as the title says, i am so hyped about this first jam...its a bass-drum power duo, with a fellow drummer...i would describe the songs as a mix of black(mainly)-death-and doom metal.Some really heavy and slow parts, and some really fast paced,around 220 bpm .I am gonna sing as well.

i have to state that i am ABSOLUTELY inexperienced on how i need to set up my bass sound in order to achieve my sonic vision.The studio owner has kindly let me use up to 2 guitar amps along with my bass amp, 3 amps in total, since signal splitting is what i am thinking to do.

my arsenal :

TU-3
    ODB-3
    MT-2
    LS-2
    DS-1

i need to get my sound kinda sorted with them.

Was actually thinking to put MT-2 in the clean channel of one guitar amp,as my main treble sound.
    Then hook DS-1 boosting overdriven channel of second guitar amp as my mids sound
    and ODB-3 for a slight boost-grit of my clean bass sound

Any thoughts on this ? the main sound i want is the metalzone sound, pretty good for high speed alternate picking, and sounds pretty huge with palm muting and chords.

The bass i ll use is a cheap Squier affinity PJ probably with both pickups full volume.

any tips about the setup, or any tips in general about the jam, will be much appreciated guys...

ask me anything you might need to know that i forgot to post here, the jam is in 10 days.

thank you all in advance for your time : )

2. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    you should post this in the amps/cabs forum.

3. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    get the sound you want all figured out and tested BEFORE you book studio time.

4. Fathand

Fathand 21st Century Distortion Man Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    As a recording amateur I would ask the studio guy for ideas, BUT - a couple of options how I would do this, if you have a decent studio available.
    Complex:
    - Plug bass into the mixing desk
    - take out signals from the desk to the different amps
    - EQ from the board so that the bass amp gets the actual bass sound, and the guitar amps get a more suitable EQ curve - most likely some sort of a HPF to the guitar sounds, they can't (usually) handle the low end coming from your bass
    - Adjust combined sound based on what you hear, using whatever channel or pedal sounds the best combined

Simple:
    - Record with the bass tone + DI'd clean sound only, then reamp the clean sound with the guitar amps (repeating the EQ steps from above).

If you're playing the base tracks in live, the first option enables you to tweak as you go. But I will say that the most likely you will get more tonally crushing results with cutting some gain, as opposed to using 3 different massively distorted channels. I'm all for distortion, but sometimes (unlike what Yngwie says) less is more ;)