1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Hypermiling" Now this has just gotten ridiculous.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hbarcat, Mar 18, 2008.

1. I have only done it a few times, scared me every time. Once was on a dare from the girl that I had on the back. Ah, my stupid youth.

lowsound

2. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Never will happen

3. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    People like this need to ride the bus if they are so concerned about mileage.

To save money, why the hell wouldn't she buy a cheaper car, and not have to worry about getting as many miles as possible?

I need a bullbar on my car :p

4. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    People take it to an extreme to where its actually dangerous to drive so damn slow. Sorry, my time is worth more than saving 20 cents on gas.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I do it to a point.

I shift at 2500rpms... so getting up to 55 takes me about half a mile.

When I need to slow down, i throw it in neutral and use the brakes.

Downhill on the freeway, im in neutral coasting at 85. If it is the straight away part of the hill, the engine is off. :ninja:

6. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    Depending on your intentions, you may be polluting more and/or using more gas. Underreving strains the engine, will gradually coke (clog up) the injection and may affect the efficiency of your oil, fuel and water pumps. If you're saving those RPM for money, consider letting the engine go through the power curve it was designed for, or use the money you've saved to get a head cleanup every other year.

Long-term efficiency should be your goal I think :ninja:

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire

Please stay out of the 15 between Temecula and San Diego of you drive like this.

8. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    For every gallon of gas the hyper milers save, my V8 will burn three.

9. steve21

steve21 Banned

My Kia Rio Cinco (04) barely gets 20 MPG because I drive wayyyy to fast wayyyy too often on the 134 & 2 freeways. The overdrive button is a fabulous thing against hypermillers.

10. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    That doesnt actually work. Its more fuel efficient to drop a gear and let the engine slow you down. When you drop a gear and hear theat whine you are not actually consuming any fuel, its just the momentum of the drive shaft turning the engine over.

11. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Man you guys are harsh. When it is a choice between saving gas and eating for some of these fixed income people what do you think you are going to do?

How about some of the people that drive V-8's or larger buy a more efficient car and free up some gas. Oh nevermind, it isn't the popular view to tell people they are driving a gas hog to downsize.

I am going to stop before I get on a rant about this country and excess and how people feel their freedoms are being challenged if they are encouraged to lighten up.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I don't think that most people driving a Prius are on a fixed income.

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thanks, jeff, i was going to write that, but i was baking cookies for myself. :D

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Petrol is running out rationing is just delaying the inevitable and by how much? Give it a few years and we'll all be boned anyway. So we might as well enjoy it while we still have it. As for the environment, well if we are going to run out of petrol then does it matter how long it takes us to run out? By the end of it all we will still have emitted the same amount of CO2. A definite amount remaining fuel will emit a definite amount of greenhouse gas and it will all eventually be burned, that's guaranteed. So in the long run its not a question of how much its a question of when.

Just like a prius is more enviromentally friendly immediately. But over the course of its life from manufacture through it's useful life. The manufacturing of spare parts and it's eventual disposal. It's really isn't the big of a CO2 saver. Because all those industries use CO2 making maintaining and disposing of it as well.

So I say burn away my friends we're screwed anyway!

+1 to fixed incomes not having prius.

15. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    [​IMG]

Actually, you should just ride the bus.

This type of driving sounds horribly unsafe. Turning off the engine means you have NO vacuum assist for braking, and NO power steering to safely steer your car.

You should stay away from EVERYONE if you're going to drive like that...at least that way, the only person you may kill is yourself (and perhaps an unfortunate passenger).

16. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

I've been reading the "hypermiling" websites and it's clear that this is as much an ideological practice as it is about them saving money. Most of them are using it as something of a statement about how their fellow drivers are wasting more gasoline and causing more pollution than is necessary for mere transportation from point A to point B.

They are saying, "You people driving your gas guzzling beasts with no regard to fuel economy or for the consequences of pollution need to see how extreme your behavior is." So they are behaving in an extreme manner in the opposite direction to illustrate the point. They are driving as frugally as they believe others are driving wastefully.

So now we have two extreme sides of a what was a sociological/economical/political debate that has now been transformed into a physical argument on the roadway. And all I want to do is get to work without getting into a car accident.

17. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Not consuming any fuel, or consuming very little? I know in carb'd cars this wouldn't work (pop pop pop), but I'm not sure about modern direct injection. So you're saying that when the engine is being driven by the wheels there is no injection of gas at all?

Either way you're still not saving gas by coasting in neutral unless you allow yourself to speed excessively. Ultimately that isn't saving you any money because you're more likely to get into an accident. I'd rather not risk killing myself or others to save a few cents per hill, haha.

18. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio

Ahh.....I KNEW it would happen, I just had to wait and see who "that guy" was going to be.

Congrats! :hyper:

19. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I only do it on north-bound I-5, just out of frazier park when you make the drop into the valley.

Even when I do it, i make sure no one is around... its usually a situation when im coming back from an LA show at 3 in the morning.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

:D

How you been, man?