1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Hypermiling" Now this has just gotten ridiculous.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hbarcat, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I was wondering myself... plants use CO2. Now, more gas burned equals more CO2 (which is heavier than air... so it'll stay nearer to us in the lower atmosphere unless in the case of strong updraft). So, this more CO2 will feed more plants down here on our level. That means more and better crops, more and better trees, and generally a greener ecosystem... hmm...:meh:

So, here's what I wonder... How much of my extra throttle travel is going into making the corn grow better to make the ethanol that helps fuel my car?

Also, to the guy who says we're running out of oil... When was the last time that you were down underground about 35,000 feet or so? Now if you say that production of fuels is getting outpaced by demand, that's within reason of an economist to say, but to say we are running out would require knowledge that even the most well educated scientists couldn't reliably attest to.

To get back on topic, the best thing in my mind to increase mileage of engines is to reduce friction through different engine designs, and better spec'ed engineering in order to reduce parasitic energy loss. We have to remember that there IS a ceiling to how much energy can be squeezed out of gasoline (or any fuel for that matter). When molecules are broken apart, they release energy which we harness in a combustion pressure reaction. If we were to be able to reduce friction to a theoretical zero, we would still have a finite ceiling as to how much energy can be squeezed from a quantity of fuel. The best thing to do is work on both ends of the equation to get a better result overall.

Here's a little wikipedia article about the energy content of common fuels. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline#Energy_content

This hypermiling BS is downright dangerous, and I have read articles advocating extreme close tailgating, and odd fuel cutoff switches to conserve fuel going downhill. The amount of time spent on this sort of thing could be better spent making up the extra money saved by working a bit more, or working to develop an actual solution to the energy source dilemma.

2. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Seems to be just newer injection cars and not Carb ones.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4230705.html

Thats not where I heard it but I cant remember. It might have been on top gear lol.

3. still sucks fuel through the engine...

however, putting the engine in neutral is definitely dangerous and stupid as you will not be able to drive out of a dangerous situation...

4. anyone tries to save gas by hanging in my tail draft WILL get brake checked...

5. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    They are just drafting trying to get around you "slow mover"

6. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    Photosynthesis uses CO2 but plants burn oxygen just like us during the night. They have their own equilibrium, and more CO2 would tends to screw the cycle a little I guess.

7. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    Maybe she wasn't hypermilling. Maybe she was just a horrible woman driver on a cell phone.

She doesn't sound bright enough to know what hypermilling is.

8. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    My Ford Expedition, and my LT1 Vette feed da plants well!

Anyone tailgating the Expedition will get a real close look at the large load levelling trailer hitch on the back, when I suddenly see a squirrel in the road...and it's amazing how many squirrels are out there, huh?

Oddly, nothing is usually behind the 'Vette....

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You might be right! She bought an ugly Prius!

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I'm saying there's a fixed amount. It's not an indefinite source. It will all be burned eventually and whats being burned wont be replaced by more.

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Personally I have no sympathy for someone who is poor enough to have to choose between eating and driving that has also chosen to spend their money on a Prius. That person is an idiot and doesn't really deserve my consideration.

While fuel economy, saving money and saving the environment are all important (I guess), there is still no reason to make a nuisance or a threat out of yourself on the road to accomplish those goals. At that point, the threat to the general public far outweighs any financial or environmental benefits provided by the dangerous driving.

Luckily, hypermiling hasn't caught on too much around here yet. You see the occasional Prius or other hybrid on the interstate going 50 in a 70, but even that's pretty rare. Yesterday, I was commuting to work, going about 80 in a 70. I got passed by a guy in a Prius going over 90!. I've never met someone that could pedal that fast!

12. I errected two large masts, and a third, but smaller mast on my Subaru Outback. I only use the engine to get to about 25- at which point I hoist my sails and let the winds of fortune propel me to my destinations.

Sucks about not having power brakes- that's why I carry an anchor.

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    good! i hope all is well with you and yours! :)

14. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I find the whole thing funny. Even if you can save money by hypermiling is still takes a long time to offset the extra initial upfront cost of a Hybird, a Prius for example vs. say a Toyota Corolla which is still very fuel efficient. The difference is about $6,700. (21,100 msrp on a 2008 Prius base model and 14,400 msrp on a Toyota Corolla CE base model). I did some rough calculations and figured about 14 years to make up the difference in gas savings. And that is not including the extra money you end up paying the bank when financing the extra money!

Here is a link to an article about this topic:

http://www.smartmoney.com/consumer/?story=20031126&hpadref=1

There are definately ways to save on fuel, but if you take them to extremes and start putting safety and IMO general annoyance of drivers at stake, then it's a pretty stupid thing to do.

15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I've always been of the opinion that most hypermilers don't do it for the savings, but rather do it for the "status."

16. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    That's the best part! These car manufacturers know it and stick it to 'em...

17. Shishkbob

Shishkbob

Mar 13, 2008
    Costa Mesa, CA
    i am working on getting my 60 vw bus running. it gets about 25-30 mpg with its current setup, but top speed is 45, 55 downhill. even all primer, it still looks better than most hybrids.

18. Everyone should just drive a motorcycle if they are so worried about gas mileage.

lowsound

19. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    First of all, people who speed through school zones should be run over -- REPEATEDLY.

Secondly, that's just ridiculous. If 50 mpg isn't good enough, she needs to bike it. :scowl:

20. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Again, I wonder about what formed the oil in the first place... There has been debate on that front. I mean, scientists are bio-engineering microbial life that metabolize plant matter and create fuel type hydrocarbons. Also, in a lab, scientists also made fuel type hydrocarbons from marble (CaCO3), iron rust (iron oxide), and water. They treated it with heat and pressure, the same thing which is supposedly creating our fuel far beneath our crust. Also, oil has been found deeper than the oldest known fossils, which also begs the question, what caused that oil to be there?

My point is, we don't really know that much about the Earth's oil cycle, if there is one. We know less about the bottom of the ocean than we do our own moon. That being the case, to state an absolute like, "We are running out," is an assumption that cannot be relied upon.